Penn 85 Cortez Wide Kit on a Penn 285 Delmar

Started by Wompus Cat, May 25, 2021, 04:02:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wompus Cat

Got this kit from Ted just the other day he had for sale here a couple of times and no one seemed to want it .
He lowered the Price to near nuttin so I bought it and here it is put on a Delmar 285
Consists of a Custom  Wider Aluminum Foot,Aluminum Spool from a newer Penn (Ted will have to splainit as I forgot all ready)
New Bars and a Tederized (Maxed OUT ) Blade and Knob, and Custom  Aluminum Rod Clamp ..
All in ANODIZED BLACK  Edit ( I Used the Stock 285 Side Plates and internals)

ONE OF A KIND

If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

oc1

Darn.  You made a Delmar look really good.  That has to be the first one ever.  Delmar's used to be so un-cool because they didn't have any chrome rings.

Rothmar2

That's one Hot Delmar, definitely one of a kind. Ted's blades are awesome!👍

Wompus Cat

author=oc1
QuoteDarn.  You made a Delmar look really good.  That has to be the first one ever.  Delmar's used to be so un-cool because they didn't have any chrome rings.

It was Ted's Vision to make a reel like this with his goodies he had there . I don't know come here from sic em about design or aesthetics ...lol
Took me four  or five Reels to get this one to look good .
The kit was to be for a Penn 65/ 85 and I first installed it  on a Penn 80 (Bad Eyesight thought it was an 85) then realized the Reel did not have a Drag nor AR .....DOHHHHH    sooooo  dug around and found a True 85 and stuck it together not realizing the 85 I chose was a dark Brown not Black ......sooooooooooo started  digging through the Penns I have laying around and discovered the 285 had the same size side plates and ended up with this concoction ..
Anyway the finished product with the anodized Black  Aluminum Reel Seat ,Spool, Rod Clamp and  Ted's Blade and Foam Knob,accented with the Chromed posts and the Free-spool Lever along with polishing out the original side plates seems to SCREAM  out
LOOKY HERE LOOKY HERE !!

Thanks Ted for the concept.

Maxed Out

Quote from: oc1 on May 25, 2021, 05:35:11 AM
Darn.  You made a Delmar look really good.  That has to be the first one ever.  Delmar's used to be so un-cool because they didn't have any chrome rings.

Exactly what I was thinking !!
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

thorhammer

Jiggy 99 spool, Ted 99 stand and those bars fit multiple reels from 99-209-66-150-160-145, anything with a 24-66 or 24-150 stand, I believe.

Wompus Cat

Found an old HI Ike Walton 6Ft. Rod and some Black Braid to use with this Reel.
May go after Mr. Whiskers in the Morn.  ;D

thorhammer

The WR blue came out of my lake a few years ago and we see a hundred pounder caught every so often. I'd take that reel after them with zero reservation.

Crow

Looks like a pretty slick fish getter, to me !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Wompus Cat

Quote from: thorhammer on May 26, 2021, 02:14:44 PM
The WR blue came out of my lake a few years ago and we see a hundred pounder caught every so often. I'd take that reel after them with zero reservation.

There is a City owned Flood Control Lake built in the late 1940's in my Hometown where it filled  up almost over night during a Torrential Downpour  and  it is said that near the Dam there are 2 old Hudson Car Bodies submerged there and Divers who routinely inspect the integrity of the base of the Dam have seen over 6 foot long Catfish in each of the Old Hudson's that apparently got in there as fingerlings when the Lake Filled  some 70 odd  years ago .

People have asked why the Divers have not got the Catfish out of the old Hudson's and they have Tried on numerous occasions but to no avail as each time they get close to the Cars the Catfish Roll up the Windows and Lock the Doors

Eddie K

That's a nice reel, I like what you did to it.

Donnyboat

Gee Billy, I am serprized the lock still works in the doors, maybe if you were to install a battery, it may start,  ::) cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Ron Jones

A LB65 with a 190 spool and Ted's toys, I really think it can't be beat for something like blue cod or black rock fish. The Del Mar plates are a cool touch.
Wish I had it with me and Ted tomorrow, we'd give it a work out.

The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"