D.A.M. Quick 1000 Microlite

Started by foakes, May 26, 2021, 10:03:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

In between property Spring cleanup maintenance, working on reels for clients, doing shop work, getting the boat ready, and a dozen other projects — it is time to get a few reels ready for Eastern Sierra trout fishing.

During the off season — my personal reels along with many others are sold to clients.

So I need to get a few ready for the Season.

Pulled a tiny DQ Champion 1000 out of a bin of a dozen plus that I haven't had a chance to go through yet

Seller told me that the bail was broken, the off-handle side plate cap was missing, it needed work — but since it had decent bones, and I had parts — it was just tossed in the bin of 1000/1001's for another day.

Took a look at it in between reel jobs this morning —

Needed a new rotor since the existing one had a frozen bail screw that someone tried to drill out — then slipped and ruined the rotor spring cup.  Also needed the tiny rubber brake bumper, the side cap — and I always install a new bail spring in nearly every DQ reel — even if not really needed.  No problems down the road that way.

Reel came in a baggie with loose parts.

Did a quick clean-up — burnished and polished all interior and exterior parts — tuned & adjusted for proper operation.

These 1978 reels are one of my all time favorite DAM Quicks —

All metal (cast aluminum frame, rotor, and sideplate) — metal skirted spool, SS foldable bail, roller line guide, phosphor machine cut bronze and steel gears, worm drive, high speed at 1:5, main bearing, worm gear supported at front and rear, main gear equally supported in a center-line on both sides, folding handle, attractive, multiple stack SS drags, no pot metal.

And the big one...7.8 ounces in a tough, tiny, all metal, super high quality Microlite reel.

This will go on a Fenwick 5 1/2' glass rod and spooled with 175 yards of 4lb. Trilene.

I am always amazed at the quality and capability of these DQ's.  

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

PacRat

She's a real beauty! You saved another. It's nice to know that some of these will be around for a new generation to appreciate.
-Mike

philaroman

sweet
is that smallest C top of 3rd photo?
thks

foakes

Quote from: philaroman on May 27, 2021, 12:18:03 AM
sweet
thks

Yeah, actually have a couple of them PR —

ABU Garcia Cardinal C3's — these are the small ones.

Got them from a dealer that went out of business maybe 20 years ago.

He had robbed the handle and drag knob off of them, and a bail spring for a good customer — then just tossed them on a back shelf for 10 years.  

They have never been mounted on a rod.

I have the new parts they need in the ABU bins — just pulled them out this morning since a good member wants one of them.  The other is available if you want it.

These are great reels — this series made in Japan is of very nigh quality.  Metal and the traditional bronze and steel gears with the under-rear fulcrum drag adjustment.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: foakes on May 27, 2021, 12:52:50 AM
sweet
thks

Yeah, actually have a couple of them PR —

Got them from a dealer that went out of business maybe 20 years ago.

He had robbed the handle and drag knob off of them, and a bail spring for a good customer — then just tossed them on a back shelf for 10 years.  

They have never been mounted on a rod.

I have the new parts they need in the ABU bins — just pulled them out this morning since a good member wants one of them.  The other is available if you want it.

These are great reels — this series made in Japan is of very nigh quality.  Metal and the traditional bronze and steel gears with the under-rear fulcrum drag adjustment.

Best, Fred

Great little reels! I've got 18 of those skirts spool Card 3 & the C3s, and my wife & I use the heck out of about half them They're basically the same reel just different decals. All the parts interchangeable.

Fred, FYI those boxes are for the C3 variant. The black Cardinal 3 boxes were gray & gold with green stripes.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

Yeah, these boxes are lousy and in poor condition anyway, Tommy — but that is how they came — and basically protected the reels for years. 

They certainly operate well — Impressive reels!

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

Ruffy

So many beauties in one post! DAM's are scarce in Australia, and the majority even then for sale are the supers and 330's. I've never seen any of the sizes from the x000/x001/x002 lines for sale here on gumtree or the bay. As far as Abu spinning reels go, not too many of those either. Thanks for sharing!

Andrew

mo65

Love those 1000s...might be my favorite Quick...nice work Fred! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

foakes

The DQ 1001 is identical to the 1000 —

Except it has an all black anodized appearance package —

Looks really lethal on a 5 1/2' black Ugly-Stik.

Another little fact about these 1000/1001's — braid can be used on these due to the skirted metal spools, the tungsten-carbide rolling line guide, plus the SS bail wire.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

PacRat

sweet
thks

"I have the new parts they need in the ABU bins — just pulled them out this morning since a good member wants one of them.  The other is available if you want it."

...and that's the rest of the story. That sweet little C3 came to live with me and she's pretty! She's as close to brand new as I have ever seen and even came with a spare spool. Thank you Fred!

Midway Tommy

Congrats, 8) you will love that little gem, Mike! That's about all my wife & I use these days, except for the "4" version when we're vacationing & walleye trolling. All our slip bobbering & light, < 1/4 oz., jigging are done with a "3". One of, if not the best ULs ever made, in my mind.  
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)