Daiwa Sealine 400H castable?

Started by Abombs, June 25, 2021, 05:06:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abombs

I made my Penn Senator 113H castable by upgrading to an aluminum spool & magging it. Without modifications (and brass spool) , although some casts gave me trouble. Video shared to give you an idea of my skill level. Also, I've practiced a ton since that video.

How castable is the Daiwa Sealine 400H without modifications? Similar? More difficult? Less?

Someone near me is selling two of them cheap. Wondering how versatile it would be for me...

thorhammer

Probably very similar. The Daiwa is the same size functionally speaking. If they are cheap; grab em. They are really good reels- all aluminum to begin with and can be had for less than the cost of an aluminum frame upgrade for Senator. There are carbontex drags for them, then oil the bearings and go. If you are looking to increase your distance, spend your cash on a stiffer 12' rod. That payload you are chunking looks like the drum bait we chunk in the OBX, and half your casting energy was absorbed by the soft rod tip on that weight / bait. My 0.02. 

Cor

Looks like a pretty decent cast with that big chunk of bait!

I guess the video is a bit deceptive, the last pole looks like its about 120 yds away ???
Cornelis

Abombs

Quote from: thorhammer on June 25, 2021, 08:16:07 PM
Probably very similar. The Daiwa is the same size functionally speaking. If they are cheap; grab em. They are really good reels- all aluminum to begin with and can be had for less than the cost of an aluminum frame upgrade for Senator. There are carbontex drags for them, then oil the bearings and go. If you are looking to increase your distance, spend your cash on a stiffer 12' rod. That payload you are chunking looks like the drum bait we chunk in the OBX, and half your casting energy was absorbed by the soft rod tip on that weight / bait. My 0.02. 

I have an Ugly Stik Bigwater 12' heavy rod that I could try it on. I typically keep a Squidder on it and cast smaller baits a long way out. The one I am using in that video is a cheap-o Daiwa Beefstick. It is 'heavy enough' for shark fishing. Not even sure what else the Beefstick is good for besides medium sized fish like sharks...

Thanks! I do get the impression they are like the Senators but overall better build quality.

Abombs

Quote from: Cor on June 26, 2021, 08:17:32 AM
Looks like a pretty decent cast with that big chunk of bait!

I guess the video is a bit deceptive, the last pole looks like its about 120 yds away ???

I measured it on Google Maps because I was curious about the distance I was throwing. The last piling is about 200 feet out.