Dam Quick Microlite 265 Serial Numbers on reels

Started by HyMntFisher, May 28, 2021, 04:23:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HyMntFisher

Hello everyone, I hope you all have a safe happy holiday this weekend.

I do have a question regrading the numbers that are stamped on the handle side of the 265 microlite on some reels. The numbers are hard to read but look like this "D112335". Not all of my 265's have this and I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this. Getting ready to have these long time family reels serviced and was just curious.

Regards,
Mark

foakes

Got a lot of Microlites, but don't recall a number like that —

Show us a photo.

Thanks, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

HyMntFisher

I having trouble uploading photos. Ill keep trying.

Thanks
Fred

foakes

In the earliest DAM Quicks, basically between '50 to '61 — there were serial numbers.

The SW68, Standard 250, 240 & 245 Juniors, 280 & maybe the 285's, some early Super 270's.

Wasn't aware the 265 Microlites had some serial numbers also — Thanks for bringing it to our attention!

That particular Microlite 265 is the earliest first version of (2) — Introduced in 1961.

It is a baby Super 270 — same engineering system, same top quality material selection & interaction, same era.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

HyMntFisher

Thanks for posting Fred. I have two of these and both have different numbers but they are in the same place and both start out with what looks like a D. I am wondering if any others out there have similar numbers on any of their 265's.

Thanks again Fred

Regards
Mark

foakes

Some of my 265's have similar numbers, Mark —

The earliest DQ's to have serial numbers were the Standard 250 & SW68's — circa early 50's.

The earlier reels had no #'s.

The reel that took the place of the Standard was the Finessa 280 — which is a 330 size spinner.  These had #'s.

DQ started the sequence for the 280 at 100,000 — and continued the numerical sequence with other models also.

Serial numbers were eliminated with the introduction of the Finessa 110 - 550 series of (7) reels.

Just an expense that was not needed.  No reason to do it.

It is interesting to think about the practical, as well as the top quality, and durable reels produced by the engineers and designers in Germany — who came from a long line of anglers, machinists, watchmakers, and efficient manufacturing experts.

I have reel repair friends in Europe — of whom we have regularly helped each other with parts and history.

And some of the history, according to the early DQ engineers and designers — is a mix of ABU and DQ.

One old time established tackle repair shop in the UK that specialized in DAM Quick reels — shared with me his history.

As a young man, he worked for Rolls Royce.  In his spare time he repaired and serviced fishing reels.  He became a DQ dealer, along with a few other popular brands in the UK and Europe.  He eventually was able to make a better living by working on reels full time.

Here is where it gets interesting:

Otto Henze (Penn) — wanted to expand into the UK and Europe with their Penn reels.

He and my friend made an agreement to distribute Penn reels in the UK.  Otto would send over crate loads of Penn reels, and also provide crates of replacement parts to my friend — at no charge — primarily so that Penn could advertise that they had parts and repair facilities in the UK.  There were many dinners during Otto's trips over the Pond with their wives— and he would grill and get as much information as possible from my friend about DAM Quick and how they had become so successful.

Is it a coincidence that the Spinfisher line of Penn spinners came out shortly after that — using the same type of proven worm-drive engineering?  Maybe, but I don't believe in the low-percentage reliance on coincidences.

Otto Henze was also of German heritage...and he was a practical businessman, as well as an innovative thinker — not adverse to using other well proven engineering systems.

Look at the similarities in design and engineering — between the early Spinfisher greenies and a 265 Microlite or a 270 Super.

Here is a DQ 265 Microlite, a Penn 716 Spinfisher, and a 712 Spinfisher.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

Gfish

Great stuff Fred. Spinfisher's & DAM Quick's do have that same gear-box shape.
No serial #'s on my 265, though they coulda worn off. The early 50's 250 Standard I have has 'em on the reel stand. I like 'em for dating purposes.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

PacRat