salmon out of half moon bay, 5/27/2021

Started by alantani, May 30, 2021, 06:15:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

first trip of the season.  tuesday afternoon i pulled the canvas off and flipped it inside out.  

yeah, all of this white stuff is mold. spent a couple of hours with a pressure washer to blast it all out, then let it dry and hung it out on the fence while i cleaned the boat.

after another couple of hours, the boat has been pressure washed and is all nice and clean!!!!  to clean the film off the clear plastic, i found that rain-x works great!!!!

wednesday i check all the tire pressures, shot grease into the hubs, did a full systems check got the boat rigged for salmon.  thursday morning we had a window with chop but little wind.  so this will be our first trip of the year!

it's going to be me, ed and my daughter christina!

we made the long run south of pigeon point and worked the same area as the hulicat and six commercial boats.  we just ran straight bait using old school crowbars.  one downrigger was at about 35 and the other was down to 80.  nothing for hours.  i was seeing bait at a hundred feet, so i asked ed to send one down to 120.  30 minute later, we got out one and only hook up.  it was tough in all the chop to circle the boat properly, but ed got it to the boat and i netted.  it bottomed out my 20 pound spring scale.  

we decided to bail and went in shallow for about 20 rockfish.  it's actually pretty easy to hook them with anchovies and circle hooks!  i had a ling cod on, but he chewed through the light leader.  won't make that mistake again.  back at home, we cleaned up the boat and the fish.  it was 9pm by the time i finally finished.  long day, but well worth it.  

on a certified scale, the salmon weighed out at 18 pound, 7.25 ounces dressed.  really nice fish.  yesterday was dinner in fresno with the folks.  fresh salmon and rib eye!!!!  and of course, the poker game.  here's mom, my wife, and our friend mrs. nosker.  

and then there's me and dad, both getting our asses kicked.  

good times!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Hardy Boy

Nice. We had the same day yesterday. Only difference was a halibut. Nice to get out on the water.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Gfish

Nice. Family day out fishing. Great looking weather/water conditions. Beautiful lookin boat. Can you tow a kayak out there 😄. Love those Blackies, always seem to be schoolin. Fun to get on a bass/trout rig and good tastin. Your parents are lookin pretty good. I wish mine were still around.
It's tourista central here, so I'll wait till tomorrow and beyond to head out, despite the perfect conditions.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Donnyboat

Congrats Alan, nice to see you spending time with the family, & a good feed of fish as well, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

pjstevko

Seems like a great first trip! That's a beautiful salmon and some good lookin rockfish.....

C ya in a week!

Bill B

Good to see you getting out on the water.  See you guys next week.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Dominick

Good going Boss.  That was a long day.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

gstours

Thanks Alan for sharing your pictures and trip,   After being captain, deckhand, and tow buddy and just being out on the water you have a nice family man smile to stay awake!   You are the Man.
   Your family is well off knowing that you are the boss.🎣

Benni3

smnaguwa