Repairing Bakerlite

Started by buzzawak, June 02, 2021, 12:13:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzzawak

I acquired this Steelite reel and thinking to repair the two small chip in the bakelite.
I have zero experience working with the material.
Could I get some suggestions on the best approach?

Thanks

Donnyboat

Hi Micheal, bakerlight is made from saw dust & two pak epoxy, maybe the same colour wood filler & two pak, or two pak epoxy mixed with paint, good luck cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Bill B

Didn't Sid do a repair with Bakelite dust and epoxy?  I tried looking for his thread but no luck.  Micheal, if someone can find it, a member used dust from Bakelite mixed with epoxy and built up the area and sanded the repair down.  You will have to find an area to harvest the dust that doesn't show or a reel with similar coloring.  Bill

Found the post....

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=17316.msg182073#msg182073
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

foakes

Henry (WompusCat on our site) —

Does a great job on these Bakelite plate repairs.  Body shop guys who specialize in Mercedes — know their stuff!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Maxed Out

Fred nailed it. Henry is 2nd to none at repairing Bakelite and older Mercedes
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Wompus Cat

Thanks for the Kudos but Sid's Post is very informative and gives one good insight in the repair process here .

I have also been successful in many repairs as such and with this particular reel and it's Marbling I would suggest  FIRST and Foremost to use a Cleaner (oil Remover )  spray like Brake Kleen on the areas to be built up .
Then instead of trying to  Grind material to match the color  on this Marbeled finish I would build a mold of sort to go around the edge of the plate sticking above it slightly and  either use a Special Teflon Tape like 3M makes or aply a thin film of oil to where your mold (I have used spray paint lids cutout to fit around the edge and the epoxy won't stick to it ) fill will go so as not to adhere to it and it will remove when finished with a smooth surface as well. Just use a good quality  Quick Set CLEAR Epoxy and you will be surprised how it will blend in when finished.

Now as Sid stated you need patience and time to slowly build the chips up and above the surface then comes the fun part of 5 or six grades of sanding to get a fine finish off with 2000-2500 grade (preferably wet dry 3M). Then polish with Heavy Rubbing Compound ,then finishing paste ,then a good Carnuba Wax
Just take your time and you  will get reel good at it .
Be sure to post some pix as you go along.
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

buzzawak

Jobs done, being the first time working with bakelite I am very pleased with the result. If you didn't know where to look you wouldn't be able to tell.
I powdered some bakelite and mixed it with Araldite.

Sharkb8

That turned out OK good job Buzz

Kim

Donnyboat

Very good thanks for showing us, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Wompus Cat

If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Brewcrafter

Great looking repair!  Where did you harvest the dust from?  Lightly sand away from another area on the interior of the reel where it doesn't show? - john 

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

buzzawak

Quote from: Brewcrafter on June 15, 2021, 02:06:34 PM
Great looking repair!  Where did you harvest the dust from?  Lightly sand away from another area on the interior of the reel where it doesn't show? - john  

I have a sacrificial Bakelite reel that is beyond repair. I wouldn't sand as this may contaminate the filler material. I just used a Stanley knife and scraped.
Even tho Arildite list their product as suitable to repair Bakelite the Arildite doesn't match the same hardness. For the next repair, I will try some other two parts epoxy resins.
Final photo of the finished product.

Brewcrafter

Thank you Sir!  I (we) are all learning. Great point about sanding - since sand grit may get in there - never considered that.  But that is why your repair looks so good! - john

Donnyboat

Hi Michael, looks great, but you may find the Arildite, may turn yellow, please keep us posted, thanks cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat