AK living

Started by TongassFisher, June 14, 2021, 12:52:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TongassFisher

Still early but we've been getting after it!

Ron Jones

If all of that happened today you ave been very busy!

The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

happyhooker

Good for you guys.

Frank

milne

Awesome photo's...
Great seeing the young un's enjoying the day out...

Thanks for sharing...

Col

Donnyboat

Great pics good memories, good decky pic, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Rancanfish

Oh that pic of your boy crashed in the front brought back memories.  My son would start out full of fire and then boom, lights out in the cuddy.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Gfish

Great group of pictures! Alaskan bounty and (your?)kid livin and learnin.
That 2nd to the last whole fish picture, long and almost steelhead lookin, except for the black mouth, what species?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Hardy Boy

love it. Looking like a lot of fun. Gotta love those white springs they are the best on the grill. All you need is a mooching reel and it would look like you are in BC.

Cheers;

Todd
Todd

Jim Fujitani

Quote from: Gfish on June 14, 2021, 03:07:10 PM
That 2nd to the last whole fish picture, long and almost steelhead lookin, except for the black mouth, what species?

Chinook (King) Salmon (Oncorhynchus tshawytscha).  "Blackmouth" is a semi common name in various areas.  The differentiation from Silver (Coho) salmon (Oncorhynchus kisutch, protected in CA) is the presence of black gums instead of white gums around the teeth.  Steelhead (Oncorhynchus mykiss, Salmo gairdneri gairdneri when I was in college) also have white gums and typically white mouths.

TongassFisher

Quote from: Gfish on June 14, 2021, 03:07:10 PM

It was a smaller white king salmon. The area I'm fishing is over hatchery fish so you can keep any size.

TongassFisher

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Our winters are long, rainy, and dark! This time of year makes it all worth it!

This is a reel forum so I wanted to mention my setups. I runs jigmasters for my salmon reels with longer 8 foot plus length rods for kings and coho salmon. Some of my jigmasters have the steel gears, ss sleeves, tib frames, and Bryan's drag stacks. They work great for salmon and I've got them a bit pumped up in case I get hit by a halibut which believe it or not happens on occasion while fishing with downriggers.

My halibut setups are in the picture above. I have a China made 114h with heavy spool I got from Rudy which I love. I have an all silver avet hx I bought from Taku reels Bill and a 113hn Baja special with Cortez sS bridge all of which are on 5'6" extra heavy okuma pool stick type rods rated for 100lbs test. I run 100lbs kast king braid on all my reels because it's cheap and I can buy it it bulk.

Rocket Dog

Living the dream and making memories! Also, like the double duty jigmasters... never know what your going to hook.