New fishing spot

Started by ReelFishingProblems, June 05, 2021, 07:50:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReelFishingProblems

Hello Ohana,

I just made it to Israel this week and today was the first day I had to venture out to the beach just 1/2 mile from my house. A short walk North on the beach takes me to the base of the Appolonia National Park. This park is the home to ruins dating back to the Phoenicians. I immediately noticed a few groups of fishermen, some wading out to stand on rocks, some fishing from some of the small outcroppings of Crusader walls that have fallen into the water. My Hebrew is extremely limited, but I was able to talk with them enough to find out this is one of the few decent fishing areas nearby. They let me check their haul which included what looked like sea bream, and a very juvenile dusky grouper. They were fishing long surf rods with spinners with a small bobber above 2-3 ft of leader and cured sardines for bait.

I am lacking in the travel rod department, so currently I only have a ML Ugly Stik (4 piece) and a Penn Battle 2000. All the rest of the arsenal will be here early July. Makes a good reason to check out the local hunting and fishing stores to get a local surf setup while I wait.

Cannot wait to wet a line... if they would only let me take more days off of work. Work began the second I got off the plane. Maybe I can call in sick. If they come looking for me, the Ohana will know where to find me.

Nick

ReelFishingProblems

I forgot to add, one of the guys I was talking to waded out into the surf to change up spots, and immediately hooked up to a nice sea bream. Being able to have conversations with the local fishing crews is a great reason to sharpen my Hebrew skills.

mhc

Sounds like the locals will help you work out the conditions - have fun. Very fishy looking looking water but hard on terminal tackle, I can see why they're using floats to stay off the bottom.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Bill B

Keep us posted.....don't think we have ever had any fishing reports from Israel.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Gfish

Oy vey! (Sorry, yiddish, not hebrew), New indeed!. Great pictures. Last picture looks like there's a city in the background.
A contract job?
Cool, a new fishery in a part of the world I never thought about fishing in. The historical stuff there would prolly overwhelm me and consume much of my free time. Looking forward to more!
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

philaroman

if the locals try to send you to the secret Dead Sea spot, don't go -- tough bite

Aiala

I lived in Israel for many years... in fact, I was the IGFA rep (although I never actually did anything.)

The best fishing can be had out of Eilat, at the far southern tip of Israel, on the Gulf of Aqaba. (That's where I lived.) There you can catch sailfish, dorado, big jacks, king mackerel, sharks, bottom grabbers, etc. Very little in the way of charter operations (so far as I know) but it's been quite a while, so maybe things have changed. Not sure about shore fishing; they are super-strict about protecting their marine environment because diving is a major sport there.

At any rate, b'hatzlacha!(Good luck!)  :D

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

PacRat

Nice photos. I was in Israel for work once. I installed lightning protection on an Israeli radar tower in Gaza. The site was on a large 'sand dune' on the coast. The dune was actually a buried Roman settlement that was being excavated by archaeologists. I had a great view of the progress from the tower and one day the head archaeologist gave me a tour of his digs which were nearly undermining our site.
I stayed on the coast in Ashkelon and the beach was very similar to your photos. No time for fishing though...an Israeli work schedule is hard to keep up with. I really enjoyed my time there and wished I had more time to explore the country.
-Mike

ReelFishingProblems

Quote from: Aiala on June 05, 2021, 07:58:21 PM
I lived in Israel for many years... in fact, I was the IGFA rep (although I never actually did anything.)

The best fishing can be had out of Eilat, at the far southern tip of Israel, on the Gulf of Aqaba. (That's where I lived.) There you can catch sailfish, dorado, big jacks, king mackerel, sharks, bottom grabbers, etc. Very little in the way of charter operations (so far as I know) but it's been quite a while, so maybe things have changed. Not sure about shore fishing; they are super-strict about protecting their marine environment because diving is a major sport there.

At any rate, b'hatzlacha!(Good luck!)  :D

~A~

Aiala,

Toda! I will be here for 3 years so I hope to get to Eilat a few times. I'd gladly take any advice you can give, or any contacts you might have.

Nick

ReelFishingProblems

Quote from: PacRat on June 05, 2021, 08:49:59 PM
Nice photos. I was in Israel for work once. I installed lightning protection on an Israeli radar tower in Gaza. The site was on a large 'sand dune' on the coast. The dune was actually a buried Roman settlement that was being excavated by archaeologists. I had a great view of the progress from the tower and one day the head archaeologist gave me a tour of his digs which were nearly undermining our site.
I stayed on the coast in Ashkelon and the beach was very similar to your photos. No time for fishing though...an Israeli work schedule is hard to keep up with. I really enjoyed my time there and wished I had more time to explore the country.
-Mike

Mike,
I am finding out what you mean about Israeli work schedules. I had Saturday off, and I think that's how it will be most of the time for me. Hopefully I can figure out a routine that involves regular fishing.

Nick