fishing kayaks

Started by mikeysm, February 28, 2021, 09:33:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gfish

Whoa, dude! $5000 for the yak, + whatever the trailer cost(prolly gonna want a fishfinder, too). If I hada do it all over again, I'd opt for that'n. You got that kinda scratch?, after you get used to the pro 360, think on a motor system. Torqeedo Co. makes a unit that fits right into the mirage well and clicks right in just like the peddle unit.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Ron Jones

Quote from: oc1 on March 05, 2021, 05:33:57 AM
Quote from: Ron Jones on March 04, 2021, 07:35:03 PM
As microskiffs get smaller, and kayaks get wider, they will soon collide and we'll not know exactly what we are talking about. Sort of like the PC dory 60 years ago.

I think they have already collided Ron.  I saw a stand-up thing with an outboard at West Marine that they called a microskiff but was no grander or more stable than the kayak above.

The Inuit name "kayak" translates as "man boat".

Man boat works, I just like to know what I'm talking about. I still don't see how what we call sit on top kayak's aren't called canoes?

The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

pjstevko

You could always just go with a microskiff!!!!

https://nanocraftboats.com/nano13/

oc1

Quote from: Ron Jones on March 05, 2021, 08:37:25 PM
I still don't see how what we call sit on top kayak's aren't called canoes?

Double bladed paddle maybe

MarkT

Quote from: Ron Jones on March 05, 2021, 08:37:25 PM
Quote from: oc1 on March 05, 2021, 05:33:57 AM
Quote from: Ron Jones on March 04, 2021, 07:35:03 PM
As microskiffs get smaller, and kayaks get wider, they will soon collide and we'll not know exactly what we are talking about. Sort of like the PC dory 60 years ago.

I think they have already collided Ron.  I saw a stand-up thing with an outboard at West Marine that they called a microskiff but was no grander or more stable than the kayak above.

The Inuit name "kayak" translates as "man boat".

Man boat works, I just like to know what I'm talking about. I still don't see how what we call sit on top kayak's aren't called canoes?

The Man

Calling a roto molded 'yak a canoe would be like calling a bubblehead like you a squid.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

oc1

Defining what a modern kayak is no small task either.  Our kids raced these things in high school. 

Epic Kayaks, SurfSkis and such.  They get sort of snooty and offended if you call a Scupper Pro or Hobie a kayak.

oc1

If I was to take on another boat project, it would be a Whitehall.  It's a classic turn of the century rowing design originally used for livery; ferrying people and/or stores to and from a ship or across a river.  It can be laid up in either fiberglass, marine ply or planking.  It's available as plans, kits or finished.  It has beautiful lines and is really fast for a rowing boat of its size.  They were originally bench seat but some are fitted with sliding seats these days.  It can also be sailed or fitted with a small kicker.  Something like the old ELTO motor that Todd has for sale would be absolutely perfect.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitehall_rowboat

https://www.whitehallrow.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQiA7YyCBhD_ARIsALkj54ouWQjWf-0DmTanjHdudGyxjQS12jSn_cg3jt8y_fas1VBjmq_PDEcaAvejEALw_wcB

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=32667.0

If a person was allowed to spend their hard-earned Social Security check any damn way they wanted then I'd be all over it.

oldmanjoe

Steve i think you found our next project .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Gfish

Cool. The Whitehall looks to be designed a bit like a Viking Longboat. Them guys knew how to go a long way in a relatively small vessel.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

MarkT

Quote from: oc1 on March 06, 2021, 05:35:53 AM
Defining what a modern kayak is no small task either.  Our kids raced these things in high school.  

Epic Kayaks, SurfSkis and such.  They get sort of snooty and offended if you call a Scupper Pro or Hobie a kayak.
How about if you call them sit on top fishing kayaks?  I think Inuit/Greenlanders would be offended if you called an epic kayak, surfski and such a kayak. 
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Ron Jones

I like surfski, that is a modern name for a modern design. The only difference is how much freeboard and gunnel you want. You get wet in them, you use a twin bladed paddle and they are relatively flat, wide and longish to give good speed and stability for someone not interested in learning the eskimo roll.

I don't think we're helping with the decision, sorry.

The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Eddie K

Ever think of an Old Town Predator PDL/Old-town-Sportsman BigWater 132 PDL (same vessel, different colors)?  The nice thing about Old Town is the lifetime hull warranty.  Old Town has the strongest pedal drive on the market with a 5 year warranty on the pedal drive.  If the pedal drive for some unforeseeable reason during the warranty period, send it back for them to fix.  If it breaks outside of the warranty period, you can fix it.  There is a fellow by the name of Nick Lytle on YouTube, look for Navarre Kayak Fishing, he has all kinds of videos on these vessels and creates and sells aftermarket parts for them.