Chasing tuna

Started by joesquid, June 08, 2021, 01:55:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joesquid

Took a charter out of NC Outer Banks to see if we couldn't find us some tuna for my youngest sons birthday.  Lines in the water by 6:30 and had a Skip Jack before the last line was set.  Then we cruised around with no other hits until noon when we picked up a 40lb Yellow Fin ()without a tail by the time he got to the boat).  Sharks were thick!  Kinda picked up our spirits a bit.  Next thing we know, 3 lines came tight at the same time and things got a bit hectic.  First fish to the boat was a 114 lb Big Eye, next fish a 137 lb Big Eye and finally a 124 lb Big Eye with about 4 sharks on him.  Luckily only lost a little meat by the tail. Freezer is full.  Here's two of my boys with their fish and a pic with the rest of the tuna (we ate the Skip Jack for lunch)

Makule

Those are very rotund tuna.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

JasonGotaProblem

Those are some nice fish. If you ring the dinner bell loud enough, I might come running.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

sciaenops

Bucket list bigeye. Nice ones!

Gobi King

Nice, we need an East Coast Ohana trip to chase some tuna!
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Hardy Boy

Nice job and nice fat fish. I have not lost a fish to a shark yet .......................... seals and sea lions yes but not sharks ............... knock on wood.

cheers:

Todd
Todd

Benni3

Fantastic trip,,,,, :D there's nothing like fishing there and getting some big ones great job,,,,,,,, ;D

Brewcrafter

Those are some Beautiful Tuna!!!!!!!!!!  Bigeye are a bit scarce out here on the left coast, looks like you folks had a great day! - john

Donnyboat

A good days fishing Joe, thanks for the pictures & report, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

joesquid

Thanks fellas.  They sure are good eating.  Sharks are thick off the Outer Banks.  Can't waste time reeling them in or else you'll be eating nothing but tuna head soup.  Gobi,  I'd be happy to look at doing another tuna trip.  Gonna be up in Michigan walleye fishing for 3 weeks but when I get back I could look into it.

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Wally15

Quote from: Gobi King on June 08, 2021, 03:40:10 PM
Nice, we need an East Coast Ohana trip to chase some tuna!
I wouldn't mind getting in on some of that!
GA Mike
Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground.
"Fire and Rain"
James Taylor

Gobi King

Quote from: joesquid on June 10, 2021, 12:27:58 AM
Thanks fellas.  They sure are good eating.  Sharks are thick off the Outer Banks.  Can't waste time reeling them in or else you'll be eating nothing but tuna head soup.  Gobi,  I'd be happy to look at doing another tuna trip.  Gonna be up in Michigan walleye fishing for 3 weeks but when I get back I could look into it.

Sounds like a plan, we need to get some East Coast trips going!

Wait, you are coming over to Fichigan! detroit? when?
I am on the west side (all the fish are on the east side)
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

joesquid

Gobi,  My cousin has a private island I stay on every summer for a few weeks.  Well, last year was 6 weeks but who's counting..... It's near a small town called Algonac that's at the mouth of the St. River where it dumps into Lake St Clair.
Going up Tuesday and will be there until after the 4th.  Great walleye, musky, pike and small and large mouth bass fishing. 
My cousin comes over to your side to chase kings.