Mobil 28 for reels?

Started by Gobi King, April 27, 2021, 01:35:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgp12000

I mostly freshwater fish and like Mitchells, I tried the Yamaha blue grease and it seems to make Mitchells stiff, especially in colder weather. I like Reel Butter it's synthetic and they also make a saltwater version I believe it's safe for nylon as well. It has a UV tracer  you can see with a black light where any voids are. It makes my Mitchells slick ...

tarpon one

Quote from: Gobi King on August 08, 2021, 03:03:08 PM
Quote from: tarpon one on August 07, 2021, 08:14:39 PM
Quote from: Gobi King on April 27, 2021, 01:35:40 AM
I was looking for grease for bafang mid drive motors which I am going to pick up for a fat bike build.

There I read that Mobil 28 is suggested as it is safe on Nylon.

I see a bunch Nylon parts in most Reels, anyone using Mobil 28 for fishing reels?
Your post on Mobil 28 caught my attention. Seems like we all purchase thick grease and then try to figure out how to cut it with some type of oil. From what I can tell this is a really good lubricant and is thinner than NLGI 2. All kinds of military approvals and if it's good enough for an F15 probably be more than adequate for my Avet JX Raptor. So have you tried it?
No I haven't, I'll probably get a tube this winter when I get the med drive motor for the fat bike.
What caught my attention was the compatibility of the grease with nylon.
Most fishing reels have some sort of nylon parts.

Try it pls and share your experience:-)
LOL - Your idea, which I think is a good one, but I should try it. About $15 per tube at Skygeeks. I'll let you know.

Gobi King

It is $22 a tube at amazingzone shipped
What is skygeeks?

I will check with my local Mobil dealer, they are only 2 miles away next to Costco

Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Gobi King

Quote from: jgp12000 on August 08, 2021, 04:20:21 PM
I mostly freshwater fish and like Mitchells, I tried the Yamaha blue grease and it seems to make Mitchells stiff, especially in colder weather. I like Reel Butter it's synthetic and they also make a saltwater version I believe it's safe for nylon as well. It has a UV tracer  you can see with a black light where any voids are. It makes my Mitchells slick as Dick's hat band...

If the regular grease is stiffening up on you you could try a full synthetic marine grease.
I would try peak synthetic marine grease from Pep Boys
It's only five dollars for a can.

The Mobil 28 looks to be pricey but for my application for ebike mid drive geared motors , This is the lubricant that is suggested
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

tarpon one

Quote from: Gobi King on August 08, 2021, 08:55:47 PM
It is $22 a tube at amazingzone shipped
What is skygeeks?

I will check with my local Mobil dealer, they are only 2 miles away next to Costco

Skygeeks is an on-line site that specializes in aircraft supplies. I have purchased compatible hydraulic oil from them for my boat when I didn't want to spend $25/qt. for the marine equivalent(Seastar). When I typed in grease on Skygeeks Mobil 28 was one of the first to come up which tells me it's pretty popular. I think it was $15 but shipping a single item expensive.