Kayak roof mount

Started by JasonGotaProblem, June 08, 2021, 03:16:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oc1

If you gotta use clamp-on then Thule is probably the best.

JasonGotaProblem

Doesnt look bad. Minus the recently missing honda symbol from the front of my car. There are definitely things I'm looking forward to about moving out of the city.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

JasonGotaProblem

Follow up on this. I brought my 2nd kayak across the state. But the first (which I haven't used yet it's a bit of a project) felt super secure in travel, it was the result of messing with the straps for like an hour and a half. Part of that problem is a lack of a hard attachment point on the yak. I wanted it to go a bit smoother/faster so i decided to create a good attachment point.

So I got a pack of 6000# rated D rings and some stainless steel hardware, including 3/8" bolts and some big beefy washers on the inside, with silicone caulk between every layer. Through that i loop a tow strap that hooks to the two half inch steel loop tow points at the front of my car. I got to test it on a nice open/empty stretch of road, and it's still solid at 100mph with a 20mph cross wind. Probably excessive but you cant feel confident in something unless you test it.

Yes, I have a kayak stack in my garage currently. My wife LOVES it.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Gfish

Your car + racks looks really good. My Subie, don't look look anything but like an outdated SUV, but then when I put the yak up there, it looks cooler to me. Probably my imagination.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

6thMichCav

I used a pre-packaged set of soft mounts for my kayak back in 2003 when I had a car whose roof would take it. I used fore-and-aft ropes along with a ratchet strap through the doors. At the time, the speed limit was 65, and I could get away with going 60 to the places I wanted to go.

This setup requires careful mounting, and I always stopped before the highway entrance (about two miles) to recheck the ropes and yak for stability. I didn't have any problems. However, with highway speeds increasing, I don't think I would be comfortable with that setup at 75 mph just to avoid getting run over.

That said, as soon as I ditched that car, my next vehicle had a large sunroof and roof racks. I bought a Thule and used that on the last three vehicles. I still use fore and aft ropes in case the rack or ratchet straps fail.