"Missing" the spine

Started by JasonGotaProblem, February 08, 2021, 03:18:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

There's so much variation in how we fish and what we target, that there's very few right or wrong answers. Also while there are a solid # of commercial fishermen on here, many of us are doing it for the sheer joy of it. I know I personally don't make all that much effort to fish in the most efficient way possible, I fish in a way that's fun, to me. Of course catching and eating fish is the most fun part, so some of my decisions are results-driven, but fun is still the focus.

Jeri has likely built more rods this month than I've built in my life. I tend to trust his analysis.

This may be a reflection of me actually being almost as dumb as I sound, but I'm still a tad unclear on the soft vs hard side thing, even though it's been explained before. So please excuse the dumb question. If I'm building a spinning rod, and I bend a blank then roll it til it finds the natural spot it wants to snap to, if I put my guides on the inside of that curve, am I building on the soft or hard side? (For spinning reel setup).

Forgive me for being so dense.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Jeri

Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on June 08, 2021, 01:22:06 PM
There's so much variation in how we fish and what we target, that there's very few right or wrong answers. Also while there are a solid # of commercial fishermen on here, many of us are doing it for the sheer joy of it. I know I personally don't make all that much effort to fish in the most efficient way possible, I fish in a way that's fun, to me. Of course catching and eating fish is the most fun part, so some of my decisions are results-driven, but fun is still the focus.

Jeri has likely built more rods this month than I've built in my life. I tend to trust his analysis.

This may be a reflection of me actually being almost as dumb as I sound, but I'm still a tad unclear on the soft vs hard side thing, even though it's been explained before. So please excuse the dumb question. If I'm building a spinning rod, and I bend a blank then roll it til it finds the natural spot it wants to snap to, if I put my guides on the inside of that curve, am I building on the soft or hard side? (For spinning reel setup).

Forgive me for being so dense.

There is no right or wrong way to build a spinning rod or a casting rod - that is my personal take; based on the fact that different people desire different action/response from the blank/rod in their hand. So, whether you build on the soft (inside the curve) or hard (outside the curve) makes little difference apart from how the rod will react. The reaction difference being during casting and fighting fish or moving a lure.

It more comes down to which is the preferred reaction desired for your individual fishing style. We build long surf rods for ladies, with a softer bias in the casting action, as they are less 'physical' during their casting operations, so gain comfort and ease in loading the rod. As those same ladies develop and become more proficient in their casting technique, we do then occasionally build them a rod with a stiffer bias, as they are then less intimidated by the small power increase. Menfolk, always seem to want the stronger/stiffer option - machismo? Yet, they will comment on how smooth and easy the same rod built with the softer bias is, and can cast easier for the same distance.

The same requirements come into play when fighting fish, species with softer mouths are best accommodated with rods designed to suit that with the soft bias priority to fighting, yet species with hard mouths and more likely sound hook holds require the harder bias towards the fish, as the rod appears to have more backbone or power.

So, there is no right or wrong, just people's differing preferences.

steelfish

Quote from: Jeri on June 09, 2021, 07:39:06 AM

There is no right or wrong way to build a spinning rod or a casting rod - that is my personal take; .........................So, there is no right or wrong, just people's differing preferences.

thats what I love about Rod building, you practically can build your rod as you want, with the components and accessories you chose, etc, asking for advices and follow some basic rules are a must when someone is starting but at the end either you are a rookie or seasoned rodsmither the final goal is to be happy with your build when is built for you personal use, specially if you use the rod for recreation purposes and not for Tournaments.
guide spacing formulas are just recommendations but you can add or use less than that, acid wrapping have 65 wrong ways to do it but also 832 correct ways depending on the builder, etc.

The Baja Guy