Penn Monofil 26 on True Temper Montague 7779 Rod - Found at local thrift store

Started by Abombs, June 10, 2021, 03:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abombs

My neighbor is big on thrifting, and I had gotten him excited about vintage fishing gear, so he has been bringing me cheap stuff he finds. He found this one and wants me to fix it up for him like I have done with so many others. He doesn't know anything about using them, but together we've caught some great fish on my Beachmaster, Squidders, Senator, etc. So when he brought this one home for $5 in good working order, I was genuinely impressed.

Everything about this setup appears to be original on cursory examination. The rod appears to have original guides, and feels solid. Reel seat is in good condition. The reel feels smooth, drag works, clicker works, spool spins fine. We could probably just put some fresh line on it and go catch some fish right now. Although he is not practiced with casting these reels, so unless I find an aluminum spool and mag it, I don't think he'll ever be casting this one (at least not enjoyably).

Unfortunately, it appears most of the upgrade parts are hard to come by for the Monofil 26. I can't find a 29L-150 aluminum spool, nor a Newell conversion kit. I found the carbontex washers by smooth drag, but no upgrades by Bryan Young. It would be awesome to get an aluminum spool and frame for this, or just the spool at the very least... Anyone know where I can find some upgrades for this one? Or know what other models have useful interchangeable parts?

Anyone know anything about this heavy action glass rod? Besides being heavy, it feels pretty solid, and will make a great boat rod. I am sure I could cast it pretty okay as is as well (I look forward to trying). It has a lot of backbone. Very stout rod...... My hesitation with such a stout rod is that without hot rodding the reel, it is overkill. Or is it? I would use it for trolling, jigging, or casting big cut bait from shore.

Thanks!

Abombs

It dawned on me I have a solution to this upgrade problem (upgrades when no parts are available). I have an extra aluminum spool from a Squidder 140. I could order a Tiburan P10 and use the aluminum spool I already have. Someone else did similar here. Will this work?

Decker

Hello Abombs,

About the reel...  I have several similar ones (150, 160) and like that size for surf casting.   Yes, it's true that the aluminum spools are a little hard to find, but once and a while there is a good deal.  The plastic spools in that size are actually good for casting, though a little fragile if taken out of the reel, or if spooled with mono, and nothing under it.  I spool my plastic spools with Dacron line first, to give some cushion to the squeezing action of the mono put on over it.  If you find a n aluminum spool, you can mag it.

I think you're right about there not being an Ultimate Drags package for that reel, with the 5-155 main.  Porthos had some threads on a hotrodded Monofil 27 - don't remember what he did for drags.

There are plenty of bars and frames for that reel size.  It also takes the 30-66 stand (available in stainless steel) which is one of my favorite inexpensive upgrades.

It is certainly possible to upgrade the reel.

The rod:  it has a roller tip, which isn't is good for casting, but that would be easy to swap out.  Glass rods are generally known to be stronger than graphite ones for hefting big fish over rocks or up onto docks.  The length - 7 ft. - is perfect for bottom fishing from a boat.  For surfcasting in my area, over waves, I prefer taller, but that rod would cast okay in the bay.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
/Joe

Decker

Quote from: Abombs on June 10, 2021, 05:38:25 PM

It dawned on me I have a solution to this upgrade problem (upgrades when no parts are available). I have an extra aluminum spool from a Squidder 140. I could order a Tiburan P10 and use the aluminum spool I already have. Someone else did similar here. Will this work?

A Squidder spool won't work on the Mono 26, because the spool shaft is different.   If you have a Squidder 140, it is also wider than the 26 spool, but the same width as the Squidder 145 spool (but different shaft.)  A Tiburon frame a for a Squidder 145 will fit the 26. ;D

thorhammer

The 160 was around longer than the 150 as I recall, and the 160 aluminum spool will fit (no Squidder spools fit that reel as mentioned above). Suggest you contact Randy at Vintage offshore tackle (here on the forum). He will have the Newell bars if anyone and possibly a Newell spool. The 150 is a really good reel- may be worth buying a whole 160 with Al spool and swapping out spools and any better chrome. I built one with the bars and al spool- really nice little reel. Stock carbon drags will give you plenty of drag for that size gear anyway- lest you start changing gear sleeves etc etc. Not needed on a reel for 20lb mono. These were designed as an economical alternative to ball bearing squiddders- i.e., surf casting. No one wants to cast braid long on this reel, I promise. if you want to use it light trolling or bottom fishing it should do plenty with stock gears and carbontex drag. Remember the WR red drum was caught on a Squidder from surf- 93 lbs or so, with stock drags as they were 40 years ago, and no one EVER accused a drum being a slouch of a fighter.

oc1

That's a classic for sure.  The rod should be pretty easy to date because when True Temper bought out Ocean City Montague came with it but they did not carry on the Montague rods for long.  I'm thinking late 1950's or very early 1960's but would have to look it up.  Others may be able to date the reel but there's not much doubt that they were purchased and used together.

Man, if you start upgrading the reel you will not have a classic combo any longer.  I agree with John above and would just clean it up and use it as intended; a boat rod.  If you want modern casting conveniences then get a modern reel.

Maxed Out

Like Thor said, the 160 was around for years before the monofil reels. The monofil reels were Penns marketing ploy to get people to buy because tight spool tolerances needed for mono. The truth is a monofil 26 is the exact same reel as a 160. Penn made both for several years until they dropped monofil reels and continued on with the beachmaster 180,160,& 165 (monofil 25,26,27). Also I 2nd Steve's suggestion, that reel pictured would clean up nice , fresh drags, and go fish !!
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Abombs

I have a few comments I will save for later when I have more time. Thank you so much for all the input and information. I greatly appreciate it. This forum is the best reel repair forum on the internet.

But first, I've got this taken apart... I've made an interesting discovery. Although everything on this combo seems original (including the line), I discovered both the main and pinion gears on this reel are stainless steel. How bizarre is that?

ALL the grease in this salty crusty reel has turned to a glue-like substance and required a solvent to dissolve off. The drag washers were not felt, but are some kind of plastic. A few of them had become glued to the steel washer (again, not brass).

I am about to order new drags, but am left feeling stunned. I think someone must have done some upgrades many, many years ago and then just abandoned it as it, not even giving it a freshwater rinse.

Gfish

Had a Beachmaster for a few weeks. Had the plastic spool. Seemed to me to be a nice no-frills Penn that would be a good surfcaster. Easy to operate and service and nice and lightweight for casting. The Surfmaster would be a step-up with the one-screw head-plate removal system, but this adds a possible problem if the system fails.
Could the gears be chrome plated brass? Is there any flaking on the finish?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

philaroman

Abombs

Passes the test.  :)

One in a million thrift store find???  :o

philaroman

my $5 find was opposite: sweet UL rod / junk reel has "roto-pinion"  :(
(alloy pinion perma-peened to plastic rotor)

RowdyW

The pinion gear is most likely ss but the main gear is probably a heat treated steel gear. A lot of the Penn reels used heated main gears up through the mid 70's.        Rudy

Porthos

That 5-155 is steel but not stainless; grease well to protect from SW intrusion.

Replace the 13-155 with a 13-200.

A SS 98-155 is the next logical upgrade.

The under gear washer can be delrin instead of CF; check with Dawn/SmoothDrags.com.

A greased 3 CF + 1 delrin drag stack will output between 12-13 lbs drag from top-of-spool (would only set this high if the spool is Aluminum and with a 1-piece frame upgrade; stay around 8lbs if only with the factory posts).

Takes Type-A handles, so any Jigmaster power handle will work...

Decker

Quote from: Porthos on June 15, 2021, 08:51:41 AM
That 5-155 is steel but not stainless; grease well to protect from SW intrusion.
Replace the 13-155 with a 13-200.
A SS 98-155 is the next logical upgrade.
The under gear washer can be delrin instead of CF; check with Dawn/SmoothDrags.com.
A greased 3 CF + 1 delrin drag stack will output between 12-13 lbs drag from top-of-spool (would only set this high if the spool is Aluminum and with a 1-piece frame upgrade; stay around 8lbs if only with the factory posts).
Takes Type-A handles, so any Jigmaster power handle will work...

Bada-bing! ;D

I saw no other comments on the rod yet.  Looks like a blue collar fish heaving workhorse.  I'd use it from the jetty, bridge, or wreck fishing and probably swap out the roller tip.  Hard to tell how heavy the action might be.