Blood on the rocks.

Started by the rockfish ninja, June 17, 2021, 04:18:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oc1

Quote from: the rockfish ninja on June 17, 2021, 10:57:54 PM

As for casting, as long as the bearings are good, lever drag vs star drag cast the same to me. I just prefer them and my only star drags are low profiles.

Thank you.  You made me think about it.  If a lever drag reel needs magnets to keep it under control then it shouldn't be any worse than a star drag that needs magnets to keep it under control.

Also, why don't they make lever drag reels low profile with levelwind?

the rockfish ninja

Quote from: oc1 on June 18, 2021, 04:54:12 AM

As for casting, as long as the bearings are good, lever drag vs star drag cast the same to me. I just prefer them and my only star drags are low profiles.

Thank you.  You made me think about it.  If a lever drag reel needs magnets to keep it under control then it shouldn't be any worse than a star drag that needs magnets to keep it under control.

Also, why don't they make lever drag reels low profile with levelwind?

I guess because lever drag is usually on more heavy duty reels and low profiles are lighter applications? I did talk with one of the guys from Avet once and asked if they would ever consider getting into the low profile game but they had no intention.

The thought of a machined aluminum tough as nails low profile inshore reel seems like a great idea to me, would fill a niche somewhere in the market.
Deadly Sebastes assassin.

Breadfan

Quote from: oc1 on June 17, 2021, 07:27:34 PM
Really nice fish.  You said surf gear.  How does that Accurate cast?  I have always shied away from lever drags for casting but accurate claims theirs are up to the task and that SXJ is just my size.

It's an Avet SXJ-MC, magged for casting against strong winds. IMO the standard SX is a little better for surf, it's only slightly wider, but holds much more line, and line lay is much easier. Something to take into account if you're standing on the rocks fighting a fish, when you don't want another thing to think about like thumb guiding the line. The only reason I'm using the SXJ is because my SX was stolen in a car burglary years ago.

I had the magged SX earlier in the year, it was a very nice real but the mags were always on, even at the lowest setting and I just couldn't get quite the yards I wanted out of it. I sold it and went with the Penn Fathom IICS. Over here on the east coast in Florida, hitting the outer bar can mean the difference of catching or not catching anything if you can't get it out there, depending on your quarry you are after. Looking back, I wish I would have just gotten the unmagged model and put in a Knobby mag. It really is one sweet reel and the drag is ultra smooth. I may get another and try again, you only have one life to live, right? Thats a very nice fish! My daughter now lives in LA so I have to go out there at least once or twice a year and surf fishing the pacific is on the bucket list!

Jim Fujitani

Nice ling!!  And off the rocks, surf fishing!!  A pleasant surprise, I'm sure.  Any fish over 4 pounds off the rocks/surf I'd bet would be a striper (bass, not perch).