Washers

Started by Bloggsy, June 19, 2021, 10:54:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bloggsy

You know how it is you never have the right size washer that you need.
So is there a kit available that has an assortment of flat and shim washers and I mean very small sizes as a lot of the bigger ones you can make from shim material.
I am in Australia but am happy to investigate O/S options.

alantani

this is going to be incredibly unhelpful, but......

it's an unfortunate situation that we all face.  over the years, many of us have started to build up an inventory of random parts.  if i find a particular washer or shim that works, i try to order extras.  after a while, you can amass quite an inventory.  it just takes years.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Paul Roberts

I've been pondering the same thing.

oc1

I went to the hardware store and bought a few of each size in the range

Keta

McMaster-Carr is a good source.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

foakes

Quote from: Keta on July 06, 2021, 11:05:08 AM

Lee is right —

If it was me (it is) — I set up an account at McMaster-Carr years ago — so ordering and financial details are easier.

Then, when working on a reel — and needing a shim, washer, nylon washer, spacer, etc. — once or twice a month I would order whatever was on the laundry list.  Generally, 100 of each makes the most sense — sometimes only a couple of dozen.  This saves time, shipping $$$, and hassle.

Then I carefully organize the extras into flat Plano type stackers for small parts — labeled as to what reel they fit and where.

This way, the reels you work on mostly will have the parts needed — and easily accessible.  And all of the rest of the washers you might think you absolutely need (but don't) won't clog your work area with clutter and wasted expense.

And lastly, start a fairly, but somewhat organized odd hardware junk drawer of used but good parts.  This is the most handy drawer I have when trying to get a reel back together that needs just one little part.  Washers, screws, nuts, spacers, bail springs, other springs, just thousands of tiny and obscure odd parts.  

The parts for the reels I specialize in are already marked, numbered, and organized by brand & #'s.

So a minimum of space is used and not wasted — I also buy tiny clear plastic jars with screw lids — to organize and number small parts within the same storage space.

Plus, on the outside of the boxes I place a color-keyed 1" adhesive dot.  Red DQ, Blue Penn, Green Cardinal/ABU/Zebco, Yellow Mitchell.  This saves me a lot of time because it is non-thinking and visual.  This is in addition to labeling.

After a while — for the reels you choose to work on — you will have most of what is needed 98% of the time.

Whether one does a few reels a year — or a few a day — organization is key to whatever scope of reel service operation you might have going.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

philaroman

got it:
1) conquer neighbor
2) make him learn organizational skills & attention to detail
2)
3) force him to turn his home into workshop like Fred's
4) wait couple/few decades, while he stocks up
5) have all the parts I need
sounds like a plan  ;D

oc1

Not if you live in Hawaii.  Their shipping costs for us are outrageous.  If I have to order something I check at Allegheny Bolt first.

Keta

Quote from: oc1 on July 06, 2021, 07:21:45 PM
Not if you live in Hawaii.  Their shipping costs for us are outrageous.  If I have to order something I check at Allegheny Bolt first.

You can always ship to one of us on the mainland and we can reship your order.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain