Picked Up a Few Additional DAM Quick Parts a Couple of Days Ago

Started by foakes, June 19, 2021, 06:05:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

About 75% good used — 25% new.

95% DQ — 5% Cardinal & Alcedo.

Adding these to the 125,000 NOS DQ parts already numbered and organized — will put that inventory on DQ somewhere over 200,000 parts.

Getting rid of most everything else — keeping the DQ, Mitchell, Penn, ABU/Zebco Cardinal, and ABU parts.  

Just transitioning to working on spinners.

Should be able to keep members and clients reels going with no worries about parts.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

reelrepair123

fred,  how the heck do you keep making these great scores, you are unbelievable,  glad to see you doing so great.  enjoy your haul, you'll never be idle.  take care my friend, my best to you and sue.    harryk

PacRat

Hey Fred,
Did any aluminum spools come in for a Cardinal 4? I just broke a plastic spool. I must have spooled the 4 lb mono on it too tight. Good thing it didn't fail with a fish on it. I just noticed that the front flange was a little wobbly.
-Mike

foakes

The only aluminum Cardinal spools were a few "6's", Mike —

There are a couple of companies that Tommy knows about — who manufacture aluminum spools for the Cardinal 3 & 4.

Well worth the expense — because they are bullet-proof.

I do have a good selection of skirted Cardinal spools for other types of Cardinals.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

You always seem to root out the gold mines, Fred.   ;)  Good for you!  8)

Mike Arhontakis (Cardinal Parts in Canada) has them for sale every now and then and Les Shaw (Classic Vintage Fishing Tackle in the UK) generally has them all the time. I think Mike has slowed down on his Cardinal parts inventory. Les has been my go-to-guy for tough to find ABU parts.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

reelrepair123

darn cardinal 4 spools are expensive $25 and up.  harryk

handi2

Fred you always amaze me with all the parts you have and the origination of these parts.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

MarkT

Wow, I want to see what you'd call picking up a bunch of parts!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

foakes

Quote from: reelrepair123 on June 20, 2021, 04:44:44 PM
darn cardinal 4 spools are expensive $25 and up.  harryk

That is true, Harry —

However, much depends on if you are using the reel for your own fishing — or building it to resell.

If reselling — it is hard to come out when including a new aftermarket aluminum spool on a Cardinal "3" or "4".

The average angler won't appreciate or want to pay the extra cost — 9 times out of 10.

If for our own fishing — I don't believe we could find a higher quality reel then a 3 or 4 with a machined aluminum spool.  

Bulletproof...

So it really depends on our motives and the results we want to attain.

On a Cardinal "3" or "4" — it isn't a matter of "IF" the spool will fail...just "WHEN"...

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

handi2

For Fred

Gulf Breeze, FL

foakes

--------

Fred O.

handi2

No Fred I found it on eBay. They are asking $9995 for it.
Gulf Breeze, FL

PacRat

Digressing to Fred's statement about plastic vs aluminum spools. I find my time on the water severely limited currently so I want my limited time to be quality time. Imagine having the fish of a lifetime (or any fish for that matter) on the end of your line and then the front flange falls of your spool. Not only will this be frustrating but a lengthy piece of line could end up in the water which will either be dragged around by the fish or end up wound around a bird or turtle.

I always like to have a spare spool when fishing with spinners. I know how to fix twisted line but, going back to my original statement about making the most out of my limited time; I like to switch spools (like a NASCAR pit-stop) and stay focused on fishing.

I only have one aluminum spool for the 4 so when another plastic spool failed, it reminded me that I need to procure at least one more. They typically cost around $50 with tax and shipping. So my advice is to grab them when opportunity knocks.

-Mike

foakes

Quote from: handi2 on June 20, 2021, 08:02:11 PM
No Fred I found it on eBay. They are asking $9995 for it.

People never cease to amaze me, Keith —

I guess they are a lot smarter than me — they don't need to sell a lot of stuff — just one.

Some of the sellers on eBay are asking ridiculously high prices for reels and parts — particularly DAM Quick, and a few others.  They never get a bid — but just keep relisting??

My grandmother used to tell me —

"I wish I could buy you for what you are really worth and sell you for what you think you're worth. I sure would make money on the deal."

I have a few hundred reels that I could do cut-aways on.  Could probably sell them for $200 — and feel guilty at that price.

Funny world.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

Gfish

Those original Card. Spools prolly have some kinda age/plastic/mono-pressure related issues. A tube of superglue until you find an aluminum one might be a thing.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!