Excel Phenix 8 day

Started by MarkT, June 20, 2021, 03:20:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkT

We headed south towards the lower Ridge on Thursday the 10th.  Weather wasn't good but was supposed to improve in a few days.  The plan was to hit the tuna grounds on the way back up.  It took 2 1/2 days to get to the Thetis bank, it's almost down to Mag Bay.

It was a lot of fun down on the Thetis with those YT. It was a total yoyo bite and you had to stay off the bottom or the Mexican rockfish would grab your jig in a second. I gave away a dozen and kept 5. I fished the Tank but only got a lot of Mexican rockfish.  I hooked a few YT on it but the hook pulled and I was busted off once!

The ride back up hill was better than the ride down! How often can you say that?

I was glad I was able to get a 128# BFT that first night on the tuna grounds off Ensenda on a flat fall so I didn't feel the need to fish all night the next couple of nights! I had headed in at 1:11am to call it quits but the Capt got on the PA and said there was a lot of fish under the boat.  I put my boots back on and headed out and got bit on my first drop!  Boated the fish at 1:40 and was in bed at 1:50.  I was using an Avet HXW Raptor w/100# on an Okuma pch-c-741xxxh rod and a 300 gm flat fall.  I got a couple more during the day on both fly line and a sinker rig that I gave away after we moved up to off of Rosarito over the next 2 days... I wasn't trying very hard since the 128# was more than I needed.

I met up with John (Brewcrafter) back at the dock and handed off the Tank so it could go out with him on his Royal Polaris 8 day.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

milne

Great report Mark,  And some great fish, awesome...

Col

alantani

good to hear.  hopefully you left some fish for us!!!!!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Donnyboat

Good fun Mark, nice feed, thanks for the report & pics, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

CooldadE

Nice fish and report Mark ! Did you land anything on the TANK ? I have a few hopped up Penn reels but have seen online a trend of most boats strongly suggesting 2 speed reels.  Anyone notice that ?

Cool
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

MarkT

All I got on the Tank were Mexican rockfish. The YT were suspended, if you got to the bottom those red devils were on it instantly. I never saw spectra on the Tank so it either has a very long top shot or is all mono.  With my 2-speed, I can let out the top shot then count to 15 when I get to the spectra.  If I get bit by rockfish I count to 12 on the next drop.

There were times there were tons of BFT around the boat but they wouldn't bite. It's called Bluefin being Bluefin!

I got comments on the Tank, mostly due to the handle.  There weren't any old Penn's on the boat.  There was a Baja Special. I showed it to Steve Carson back at the Landing and he focused on the handle too!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Rivverrat

Good to read a report from you Mark. I really do hope we can fish sometime ... Jeff

Benni3

Fantastic trip man,,,, ;) that a fat tuna,,,,,,,,,, ;D

Bill B

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Hardy Boy

Well excellent work as always Mark.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

scrinch

Sounds like a good trip, Mark. Glad you were able to give the Tank a try.

sciaenops

Nice trip & report. I rode the XL for 1st time over Father's Day w/e. That is one spacious rig. Capt Mike is outstanding as well.