2 Days of Sorting 400+ Pounds of DAM Quick Parts

Started by foakes, June 23, 2021, 12:59:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Went down to SoCal last Thursday to pick up a truck load of reels & reel parts.

2/3rds of the load was mostly vintage stuff from the mid 50's to late 70's.  It is going to a good member on our site.  Lots of brands and dealer repair kits, plus lots of reels and parts.

1/3, about 400 pounds — was DAM Quick parts.  They were all mixed up in large bins — no order.

Started Sunday after Church — finished up today about mid day.

Put as many frames, rotors, sideplates, cranks, spools, etc. — in the numbered Library organizers — if there was room.

These are the parts left over that will not fit in the bins.

Found many, many treasures — of note was a box of 14 bodies, rotors, sideplates — for the very rare 1000 & 1001.

I will be going down again to pick up another truck load in about 2 weeks.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

happyhooker

You've found your niche (or, maybe, it has found you?)

Frank

Aiala

You're gonna need a bigger... everything!   :o   :D

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

mo65

Great news on the 1000 parts...that little reel has to be one of the best spinning reels ever made. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

foakes

Quote from: mo65 on June 24, 2021, 12:39:50 PM
  Great news on the 1000 parts...that little reel has to be one of the best spinning reels ever made. 8)

I agree, Mike —

At 7.8 ounces, fits in the palm of a hand, all metal construction, clever and tough engineering standards, plus an aluminum skirted spool — the 1000/1001 is one of the top 10 DAM Quick reels for my personal use — and is a solid recommendation to others who may or may not know about this tiny powerhouse of a reel.

In addition to a bulletproof bronze and SS center-line double supported main bearing — SS worm pinion technology — and an attractive reel that at 43 years old — was/is way ahead of its time.

This is where form, performance, and function — team up into the smallest of the DQ Championship spinning reels.  

This little reel is very durable.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

nelz

Wow, that little 1000 is gorgeous.

So... you can never have too many parts, eh Fred?  ;D

foakes

Quote from: nelz on June 24, 2021, 03:43:19 PM
Wow, that little 1000 is gorgeous.

So... you can never have too many parts, eh Fred?  ;D

Uhhh, Nelz — unfortunately, it is possible to have too many parts —

That is why I am getting rid of the majority of reel parts that I am not as interested in working on anymore.

Just easing over out of the fast lane — and setting the cruise control.

For me, after 40+ years of doing this — having DAM Quick, Mitchell, Penn, & ABU/Zebco Cardinal spinning reel parts readily available — is key.

I will never use 5% of these parts in my earthly lifetime — but when needed, they are organized and available for my clients reels — as well as others who are doing their own work and need parts.

Just working on my little hobby niche of repair, service, and restorations of quality, worthwhile spinning reels from an era when reels were proudly made to last a lifetime or two.

To me, my focus is not on collecting reels (been there, done that) — as it is in restoring quality reels to factory original condition both functionally and cosmetically — for anglers globally to enjoy and fish.

Can't be all things to all people — so I just try to do what I enjoy the most.

Sounds a little corny, I know —

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

happyhooker

When the emphasis is on quality, both preserving and enhancing, that can't be corny.

Frank

Paul Roberts

Only took 2 days? I'm guessing you tend to know what you're looking at. :)

rlavery2

Any nylon drag washers for the 110N in the collection?

foakes

Sure, rlavery2 —-

And welcome!

How many do you need?

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

Wompus Cat

Quote from: rlavery2 on April 16, 2022, 06:56:57 PMAny nylon drag washers for the 110N in the collection?

If Fred Don't have it then they didn't Make It or you Don't NEED IT !  :fish
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

rlavery2

Fred,

Thank you! 2-3 would be great. I can send a PayPal payment right away if that works for you. Thanks again,

Bob

Quote from: foakes on April 16, 2022, 07:05:37 PMSure, rlavery2 —-

And welcome!

How many do you need?

Best, Fred

foakes

Sure, I'll send you (3) rlavery2 —-

The 110N uses hex asbestos drag washers

The 110 uses the larger nylon round washers

The 265 Microlite uses the leather washers

110 & 265 can be used interchangeably

The 110N is specific to that reel, and is not nylon.

Just need to know which reel you have.

And PM me your full name and mailing address, please.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

ClintB

WOW!

That is an amazing accumulation of parts.

I'm going to have to keep a lookout for a decent 1001. I believe the 1001 is the right hand retrieve model.