The Best D-A-M Quick Reels?

Started by foakes, June 27, 2021, 07:56:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

They were engineers and expert journeyman machinists in every type of mechanism ranging from precision watch-making to tooling, aircraft, and firearms.

They came from long generational lines of skills passed down from father to son — and master craftsmen to apprentices.

But most of all — they were fishermen who used their knowledge of precision manufacturing and various types of metals —to develop some of the finest spinning reels the world has ever known.

They were based in Germany — but talent was also coming from all across Europe.  Sweden, Denmark, France, and other countries.

The D-A-M company had been in business since the 1880's.  The factory was destroyed during the Second World War — and a new one was established and started production in 1948.

The initials D.A.M. stand for 'Deutsche Angelgeräte Manufaktur' (i.e 'German Fishing Tackle Manufacturer').

"Quick" was added to the name due to obvious reasons as these reels were introduced into North America — which was the top market for fishing gear, globally.

Slowly, the company regained manufacturing momentum — re-establishing their place in the angling world as one of the highest quality producers of quality fishing tackle.

3+ decades pass by — of a very successful run of top quality fishing reels and tackle.

By this time, much of their technology has been copied by other quality manufacturers (Penn, Shakespeare, Daiwa, ABU, Zebco, and others).

The year is now 1978 — DAM, not being one to sit idly by as other manufacturers offered strong competition — came out with the Champion Series of reels.  A tough, modern, attractive, and well designed reel of top quality engineering and components.  

1000, 1400, 2000, 3000, 4000, & 5000.

After 4 years of observing Daiwa & Shimano — DAM decided to "up the bar" with a new line of improved reels based on the original Champion series.  Larger drags top and bottom, more SS, more attractive with a "black-ops appearance" — with other innovative features — these are possibly the best reels ever manufactured by DAM — and are still going strong today — although out of production for nearly 40 years.

1001, 1202, 1401, 2001, 2002, 3001, 3002, 4001, 5001 HS, 5001 LS.

Just look at a few of the features of these reels, open one up, check out the engineering, materials, smoothness, and quality — even after 40 years.  

Then decide for yourself.

They are impressive.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

thorhammer

I have a 5001, and wouldn't blink to use it anywhere I would my 850SS-9500SS's. I bought it from a buddy in the 90's for 35 bucks. I'd take a pallet load at that price.

grekim

Cool!  Very interesting.  Fred, what do you think of the Champion bait casters?
Educating fish on every trip

foakes

Quote from: grekim on June 28, 2021, 12:42:07 AM
Cool!  Very interesting.  Fred, what do you think of the Champion bait casters?

Very strong and well built — not as good looking as the multi-colored ABU Ambassadeurs — but much stronger and less finicky.

Just comes in (2) colors — silver or black.

6 models according to width — 600, 700, 800.  The "B" models have ball bearings — with no "B", they have bushing bearings.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Wompus Cat

I never cared for Spinning reels although I have a BUNCH all different brands then after talking with Fred and reading posts about them here I dug my old Dam Reels out and started messing with them .Got 75 now . So I guess I like em . ;D
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Donnyboat

Gee Billy thats almost as many as Fred has, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Wompus Cat

Quote from: Donnyboat on June 28, 2021, 01:29:20 AM
Gee Billy thats almost as many as Fred has, cheers Don.

Let me try and put My Dam Reel Numbers in Relative Perspective to Fred's Dam Reel Numbers
Apples to Apples kinda scenario if you will.

My Collection

Fred's Dam Reel Collection

If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

oldmanjoe

I keep looking at this reel , wondering how much of a improvement is the line lay ?    Royal mds 4500.

Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

handi2

Quote from: oldmanjoe on December 10, 2021, 09:54:59 PM
I keep looking at this reel , wondering how much of a improvement is the line lay ?    Royal mds 4500.

Did you make that crosswind arm?

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

mo65

I've been a huge fan of the Champion series for a long time. I wish I had bought more of them before everyone jumped on board. Fred's shared knowledge of these reels gave me the confidence to tear into them. DAM Quick's tight tolerances on these Champions are a cut above.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

oldmanjoe

No i did not , That is stock on that model  -Royal mds -  4500
  Looking to see if Fred can pull a rabbit out of his parts bin ...

Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

foakes

I don't think I have any MDS (Magnetic Drag System) reel parts, Joe —

Although many parts from the Champion Series '00, '01, '02 — are the same part numbers — some like this crosswind arm are unique.

In order to sub a S-Stroke System (DAM's description) on an earlier model such as a Finessa, "N", '00, '01, or '02 series — more than just another arm is required.  (Line lay height, spread, spool opening specs, spacers, etc.) might be required — or more...

You could make and experiment on this, Joe.  You are up to it!

The idea behind this is to have better line lay, less mono memory issues, and a smoother cast.

I am not sure how much of an improvement it would make over a typical straight 90 degree line retrieve — but there would be some.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

Milan S

Quote from: oldmanjoe on December 10, 2021, 09:54:59 PM

Not enough.
Otherwise it would be the best reel ever made.

basto

I have read that the S shape cut out gives a more even line lay than the older straight cut.
Many brands of spin reels changed to the S shape on the occilation arm.
Greg
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Bill B

Having tore into 3 of the DAM reels, each at least 50 yo, I have to say they are at least if not more bullet resistant than the Penn's we know and love....of course it helps to have the "Unofficial" factory repairman as part of our AT.com family......it has been said before, but Thank You Fred for what you do for us....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!