Penn Senator 116A 4-116 Fibre washer swap for Carbontex #49

Started by afj516, June 28, 2021, 01:16:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

afj516

So, after asking all kinds of questions while doubting my ability to get into things sith my 116A, I decided to break out the ruler and measure the 4-116 washer under the main gear and I cam up with OD 31mm x ID 16mm x Thickness 1mm.  So I went onto Dawns Carbontex website and found two that are CLOSE (I have yet to Dremel a washer).  #49 which has and ID that is 17mm or #48 that has in ID of 8.9mm.  What happens if I buy #49 as close enough with an extra 1mm of Inner Diameter?  I install it and it shimmies slightly?  If I buy #48 I have to Dremel out the inner diameter and make it fit from 8.9mm to 16mm.  Will it work any better?  I will still have all that carbon fiber under the main causing friction... Any thoughts on the matter may be helpful.  BTW, the reel is going to be used to chase early season Giants in the Ambrose Channel outside of NY harbor.
Andy

RowdyW

The #49 should work fine. 1mm won't make much difference.      Rudy

mikeysm

That is 1mm x the number of washers. Also each washer has two sides. Also that is the outer part of the washer so there is more surface area on the outer part of the washer.

Mike

RowdyW

He only needs the #49 as an under main gear washer not for the stack.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

afj516

I have to check your Penn washer dimension list to verify.  Or have you swapped a 6-114 for the 4-116 yet? I'm gonna buy one just in case.  BTW I am Just looking up the drags from my 114H's and going to verify the 4-114H Fibre swap which might be a 6-114 as well.  Am I lucky?  I definitely enjoy this board!

alantani

i like to use the #6-114 under the main gear of the 6/0 reels and larger. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

RowdyW

The 6-115 drags are for the 114H. Buy the whole set with metals. The 5 cf washer set replaces the old 3 washer set.

afj516

I replaced the old thick 5 washer asbestos drag from the 116A with the 6-116SP 7 stack set from Mystic.  It is smooth as could be.  I have yet to try the 6-114 base washer swap, because it hasn't arrived yet.  But!  I installed a missing drag collar (9-116) (because the star drag wheel was spinning off).  As a result there is only about a turn and a half of drag tightening, (or less), from relatively light drag to fully buttoned down.  It's workable and has the full range, but should be more.  I covered the bottom gap or area of the main gear that isn't grooved for the dog eared washer. I reinstalled the 2 spring washers like the schematic showed.  Where do I have room to gain that extra drag setting turn? I have to go back in to swap out the base Fibre washer under the main gear, I'll double check the stack at the bottom of the main gear when I do.  Any thoughts?