Penn 80ST with a "pulsing" drag?

Started by Busted!, April 11, 2009, 06:51:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Busted!

Hi, thanks for the information and help!

A further question on the 80ST I have been trying to 'restore', I've got it back together and the drag has a sticky point which makes the reel 'pulse' when you pull line off it.

I would hazard a guess that this would be in the drive plates and drag disc so what would be the best course of action?  True the drag disc up in the lathe and check the drive plates for distortion?

Could it be something else like a bent shaft?  Really looking for a few pointers to save me some time because I've already spent a week removing unseized parts from this reel and removing the corrosion...

Thanks! 

alantani

my first guess is that you have one of the old composite drag washers.  they look like the brakes from front disc brakes.  the new dura drags are $52.30 for the 117AN-80T and $24.40 for the 117N-80ST.  https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Penn80ST.aspx if you have the old ht-100 drag washers, consider greasing them with cal's grease to see if that gets rid of the skipping.  there is a possibility that you have corrosion underneath the carbon fiber material if you have one of the old ht-100's.  this will create high spots that can stick as well.  if these spots are easy to identify, you should replace the drive plate.  you could, however, simply dig out the high spots with a dremmel or even an old pocket knife, then grease everything thoroughly.  you will know right away if you are successful, or not......

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Busted!

Thanks for the reply Alan,

Appears to be Ht100 on the drive plates.  I saw what looked like uneven wear marks in the drag plate so I faced it on the lathe and trued it.  Seems to have helped, the sticking is a lot less noticable and more even but still present.

I can't see any specific spots but the plates are definately not true and I have noted a reasonable amount of the white fluffies under the drag washers so I guess that thats now the issue.  I will pass on the news that a new set of plates are in order!

Thanks again.