Good first baitcaster

Started by JasonGotaProblem, July 02, 2021, 01:05:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

philaroman

Quote from: handi2 on July 02, 2021, 07:05:16 PM
You will want a left hand retrieve. I have to because I grew up using spinners. Why cast with one hand then switch the rod over to the other to fish? I can't work a rod with my left hand.

ditto for me...
if you like a lo-pro that never needs to leave your right palm,
YOU MUST TRY a Daiwa spool-forward lefty!!!  you can find a good TD-X <$50

PacRat

Good advice on the tape Keith. I'm going to teach my daughter how to cast and I'm going to use tape. Also, very generous of you...the Ohana spirit is alive and well!

-Mike

sciaenops

Second on the Ambassadeur. User friendly (level-wind), simple, rugged, proven comes lefty or righty. 5500 or 6500 series for light saltwater. Have had my 6501 C3 as a daily driver for 10+ yrs now.

For low profile, "B" or "E" series Curado. Also level wind but lower line capacity & more care needed for sw use.

Should be able to find either used in good shape for <$100.

Good luck!

thorhammer

Ya'll quit diming me on the Lew's and Bantam 100. Prices are already up lol

Gfish

I love Shimano's, esp. my Chronarch SF 100. Very well made, but a pain to tear-down/rebuild, then again, great early-on learning experience. Then againx2, what about parts availability?, Out-dated Shimano's are hard to get parts for.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

philaroman

seriously, all ye Curado/Chronarch fans should be looking at JDM-equivalent Scorpion/Metanium

Quote from: thorhammer on July 02, 2021, 08:16:44 PM
Ya'll quit diming me on the Lew's and Bantam 100. Prices are already up lol

hey, I directed him AWAY from those & toward the Ryobi budget options...  Steve is the bean-spiller  :o

jgp12000

I like Lew's but if it's your first baitcaster you are going to backlash until your thumb gets trained.BPS has the "Pro Qualifier" with dual brakes which makes it pretty hard to backlash.if you live near a BPS outlet they have repaired reels for half price,I got a PENN Battle 2(spinner) for $50 and the Pro Qualifiers are same,I think the Pro Qualifier is made by ABU Garcia as well.The C3 will last a lifetime and handle most anything,stripers and large catfish.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/bass-pro-shops-pro-qualifier-2-baitcast-reel