Daiwa AS4050 restoration

Started by buzzawak, August 03, 2021, 11:34:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzzawak

I am restoring a Daiwa AS4050 reel for a client. It is missing the B80-5601 anti-reverse claw plate.
Daiwa here in Australia don't hold the parts for this old reel. I am hoping someone could provide a good
photo of the part in question. The plan is to make the part.

Thanks
Michael B

Wompus Cat

I probably have it but it would cost more then the Reel is Worth to ship it Down Under .
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

buzzawak

Quote from: Wompus Cat on August 03, 2021, 12:37:32 PM
I probably have it but it would cost more than the Reel is Worth to ship it Down Under .

Thanks for the replay Wompus, that is why I am only looking for a picture of the part. 

Wompus Cat

Well I will see if I have a schem in one of my recently acquired Daiwa Part Manuals and post it or I am pretty sure I have a box of ol Daiwa Spinning Reels I can open up one  later today .

buzzawak

Quote from: Wompus Cat on August 03, 2021, 01:05:50 PM
Well I will see if I have a schem in one of my recently acquired Daiwa Part Manuals and post it or I am pretty sure I have a box of ol Daiwa Spinning Reels I can open up one  later today .

I have the Daiwa scheme, it doesn't have enough detail to duplicate the shape from.

happyhooker

Not sure if the AS 1350 is similar to the AS 4050 or not; looking at the schematic, it could be.  If it is, good luck on making a part.  The AR claw plate on the 1350 is a rubber-like material, with a little metal wire hook.  I tried making one once; it half-baked worked, but would be no good if working on someone else's reel.  Finally got a spare from a fellow reel geek.  Not sure if the grease/oil eats up the rubber or what, but the original one was all stretched out of shape.

Frank

happyhooker

The more I look at the AS 1350 & 4050 schematics, the AR mechanisms are set up differently, although some of the parts may be similar.  The AR in the 1350 is all in the gearcase; looks like in the 4050, the main parts are mounted ahead of the geartrain, behind the rotor.  The part nos. for the AR claws are not the same.

Frank

buzzawak

Ok, happened upon this Daiwa AS7050 & AS9050 A/R Repair Kit which eliminates the need for the actual part.
Shouldn't be hard to reproduce the spring and washer.

philaroman

just guessing by the age & general look of the setup:
seems like the original part would have provided silent, disengaging A/R,
while "the fix" eliminates this feature...  makes the reel functional,
but not necessarily a satisfactory repair for a customer

buzzawak

Quote from: philaroman on August 04, 2021, 11:50:58 AM
just guessing by the age & general look of the setup:
seems like the original part would have provided silent, disengaging A/R,
while "the fix" eliminates this feature...  makes the reel functional,
but not necessarily a satisfactory repair for a customer

Hard to say, I have a few days before I have to come up with a final solution. I would still like to see what the part B80-5601 anti-reverse claw plate looks like.

buzzawak

It looks like this is a similar part.

Wompus Cat

I went through 2 tubs of Daiwa's and  I have no AS4050's  . One Smaller but it was gutted .

buzzawak

Quote from: Wompus Cat on August 04, 2021, 12:33:35 PM
I went through 2 tubs of Daiwa's and  I have no AS4050's  . One Smaller but it was gutted .

Thanks for trying Wompus

philaroman

Quote from: buzzawak on August 04, 2021, 11:59:04 AM
Hard to say, I have a few days before I have to come up with a final solution. I would still like to see what the part B80-5601 anti-reverse claw plate looks like.

read the kit description...  as suspected, it's a workaround -- not a true fix
they just spin-doctored it to sound like an improvement

This kit does away with the rubber 'spring' part and replaces it with a constant pressure spring. The result will be a 'click, click, click' when you turn the handle....that way you KNOW it's working!Kit includes a new custom spring and spring perch. It incorporates your existing dog and screw

no metal spring for the dog on schem...  that means original part was hard rubber to cheaply provide BOTH, spring action AND bulk/rigidity to move the dog out of the way when reeling forward...  so, you'd have to recreate both, the tiny precise shape AND resilience of original base material -- SERIOUS work for budget model