Daiwa Luna 300 Series Centriflex Automatic Centrifugal System Adjustment Process

Started by 4mjonesjr, July 03, 2021, 11:56:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4mjonesjr

Hello all,

Long time listener, first time caller. I've had a Daiwa Luna 300L for a number of years purchased for a trip that never happened. Unfortunately I cannot locate the box and or manual (which may have been an attempt to conceal the purchase form the wife)  :o

Well I finally got around to using it for the first time last night plugging for Stripers. I cannot figure out how to adjust the Centriflex Automatic Centrifugal System inside of the removed sideplate. It's like nothing I've ever seen before and the last thing I want to do is damage it attempting to figure out. I've been combing the net for a manual or the adjustment procedure and have come up after a couple of hours with zilch.

In the attached pic I see a Less<<>>more label. I'm thinking that you depress the pointed plastic piece and slide it to the right to increase braking? Since the things looks like such a small piece of plastic I'd like to be really sure before trying it and possibly snapping something by mistake.

I'm hoping someone might have a manual that has the adjustment process and could post a pic for future reference. If not hopefully a procedure process explanation would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Michael

alantani

this is going to be infinitely unhelpful, but just looking at it, i think it's 60 degrees one way or the other.  beyond that, i dunno......   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

nelz

There's nothing to it, you just grab and twist the entire thing left or right to adjust. I had one, it's a neat system, not immediately apparent that it works, but it does. And you don't have to worry about losing tiny weights.

4mjonesjr

Quote from: alantani on July 04, 2021, 12:10:26 AM
this is going to be infinitely unhelpful, but just looking at it, i think it's 60 degrees one way or the other.  beyond that, i dunno......   :-\

You tried Alan  ;)

Cheers!

4mjonesjr

Quote from: nelz on July 04, 2021, 02:14:35 AM
There's nothing to it, you just grab and twist the entire thing left or right to adjust. I had one, it's a neat system, not immediately apparent that it works, but it does. And you don't have to worry about losing tiny weights.

Nels, thank you very much! That was too easy. Glad I didn't force anything with all that plastic in there. I could see something snapping off easily trying something that wasn't right!

Much appreciated  ;D

nelz

Ruffy

Quote from: 4mjonesjr on July 03, 2021, 11:56:01 PM
Hello all,

Long time listener, first time caller. I've had a Daiwa Luna 300L for a number of years purchased for a trip that never happened. Unfortunately I cannot locate the box and or manual (which may have been an attempt to conceal the purchase form the wife)  :o

Well I finally got around to using it for the first time last night plugging for Stripers. I cannot figure out how to adjust the Centriflex Automatic Centrifugal System inside of the removed sideplate. It's like nothing I've ever seen before and the last thing I want to do is damage it attempting to figure out. I've been combing the net for a manual or the adjustment procedure and have come up after a couple of hours with zilch.

In the attached pic I see a Less<<>>more label. I'm thinking that you depress the pointed plastic piece and slide it to the right to increase braking? Since the things looks like such a small piece of plastic I'd like to be really sure before trying it and possibly snapping something by mistake.

I'm hoping someone might have a manual that has the adjustment process and could post a pic for future reference. If not hopefully a procedure process explanation would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Michael

Hi Michael,
These are great reels, but bone dry out of the box and prone to corrosion because of it. I've had a few with bad corrosion following minimal salt water use. Definitely do a full service before fishing, especially if it is even going to get a sniff of salt water. Follow the tutorial in this section for the 253, similar internals but different spool brake (centriflex vs magnetic). Take photos as you go and be on the lookout for small shims etc! And welcome!

Cheers,
Andrew

oc1

We were just talking about brakes but that's a weird one.  What does the left spool end look like?