Super 270 Bail Issue: Solved!

Started by Paul Roberts, July 04, 2021, 02:12:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Roberts

Bail was striking the handle every few turns. Bending the bail didn't help, although it tripped nicer. Then I discovered that the bail was resting too low, and noticed a hole in the rotor where the bail arm rests after closing. There should be a bumper of some sort there! That would level out the bail. The only thing handy was the long polyethylene tube that comes with a bottle of Zoom "Turbine" oil. Nipped a short piece off and it fit perfectly. Voila! :)

Wompus Cat

I must have disassembled one of mine 40 times before I figured that little hidden treasure out .
For the Life of me I could not understand why the Bail would only hit the Handle every 4th or 5th rotation !
Good Fix you did there .!
I use small Rubber weed eater fuel line and stretch it over the end of the Triangular shaped end of bail till I get the Right Stopper. Fred has them  ;D
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Paul Roberts

;D Been there. In fact, I'm wrestling with a Luxor issue right now that has me putting screws back in, and then taking them back out -again!

I like your tubing idea too. If it works... we're fishin'!

And, yeah, Fred probably has them. But... if he doesn't I bet he'll be stocking up on Zoom oil bottles and Weed Eater fuel lines!  ;D

foakes

Good fixes — Paul & Henry

Those will last fairly well if not fished heavily — and can always be replaced easily enough.

DQ uses a bumper with a spring to increase the longevity and to contain the bumper from spreading or distorting.

Penn uses a similar setup on their Spinfisher larger reels — 700, 704, and 706 sizes.

This part number was discontinued in the mid 70's — but I have a good inventory of them — 100-110.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Paul Roberts

Thanks, Fred. How do I get in touch with you? PM? I'm new here.

Steelyfinn

Original parts are always best, but I have been using o-ring cord (used in making your own o-ring) in a couple of sizes for these bumpers for 330 and 270 Quicks.  It's tough and cheap.

Jon

foakes

Quote from: Paul Roberts on July 04, 2021, 02:52:01 PM
Thanks, Fred. How do I get in touch with you? PM? I'm new here.

Right, just PM me Paul —

Glad to help in any way possible.

Fortunate enough to have accumulated possibly more DQ parts — organized and numbered, than anyone I know of.

If you know a guy with 10,000 DQ parts (I don't) — I have 20 times that many — with no exaggeration.

But it has taken 30 years of buying out closed shops, factory inventory, distributor salvage, lots of contacts, digging, a plan, lots of patience, luck, and good relationships worldwide.

To a lesser extent — I have done the same with Penn, Mitchell, and Cardinal spinning reels parts.

That is why I am just specializing in those brands — after working on anything that came across the bench over the last 40 years.

Alan Tani members come first.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Paul Roberts

Thanks so much, Fred. I became aware of your work and collection pretty quickly after joining the site. Makes sense your choosing to work with a few quality brands, with longevity. I'm sure I'll be knocking on your door here and there. Thanks for doing what you do.