Maxel SeaLion 08 drag problem !

Started by Drisse, April 18, 2013, 03:28:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolli

Drisse,
sorry, forgot to ask for the exact model you own.
Maxel sells different 08 single speed reels and i used the schematics mentioned by Brian

In the German Board we discussed the OSL 08 D(dual drag)

Whatever the part nos, the problem was solved after changing the mentioned parts.

complete list of Maxel Reel Schematics:
www.maxelfishing.com/services.html

love jigging    www.jupiter-sunrise-lodge.com/de/
Authorized Jigging Master Service Partner (in Germany)

Drisse

Hi again !

The reel I have at home is called Maxel 08. Should be this one http://www.maxelfishing.com/images/services/schematic/SL/OSL08.pdf

My reel looks the same as the reel on the picture on the US site. But the schematics are different ?

http://www.maxelamerica.com/schematics/OSL08.pdf

So I wonder if its still the same problem ?

ReelTech

Hi there Drisse - I know this is an old topic but saw this and just had to reply. You haven't told us how old the reel is or when last it was serviced. I have used an identical reel extensively for jigging for tuna (yellowfin and longfin) and have never experienced any similar problems – and tuna are renowned for their pulling power. If the reel has been used a lot, then it may be that the drag washer needs replacing, however what you are describing is more consistent with the grease having dried up. This can happen on any reel with a carbon drag. Very early Maxel reels were assembled using a grease which was inclined to dry out and cake. In my experience, the best solution is a light greasing with Cals plus a sprinkling of graphite dust. Because of the pressure on these drag systems, it is very important to service the reels annually, especially if they have been standing unused. Could you let me know if you still have the problem, and if so, if this helps? Thanks!  ;D

ReelTech

Drisse

Hi ReelTech !

It was a new reel I had at home. Only fished about 5-6 times. The CT washer was dry, so I greased with Cal's, just as a test. Don't know how the story ended because they had trouble with a bunch of Maxel reels on the fishingcamp. But I think it was non plan metalwashers in the dragstack and the reels should now be fixed.

docjun

hello and greetings from the P.I.! servicing a sea lion OSL06 for a friend can anyone please tell me how to unscrew the spool (screw part 671), it seems to be stuck and i am just wondering how i should loosen the screw. should it be clockwise or counter-clockwise? thanks and mabuhay to everyone!

jonnou

Check the Jiggingmaster tutorials
tighten drag
normal thread
I leave the handle on and use a electricians screwdriver and let the handle trap against driver.
I havent checked schematics or anything
But I think its the screw in the drag lever that releases the spool right?
good luck Jon

working on a maxel tutorial at the moment

docjun

Thanks for the reply Jonnou, I was finally able to take out the spool screw! And yes Jon the drag had to be engaged so that you'll be able to loosen the spool screw. Good solid internals, well lubricated gears and drag was adequately greased. It  haven't taken out the seals of the bearings yet to be able to lube and grease them though. Will post pics of a disassembled one later. Thanks again and mabuhay!

jonnou

Glad you got it
always best to ask before forcing it
Insane drag on these little reels!!
Jon

Bullshipper

My buddy and I own 5 of the older style Maxel 08 single speeds that click while you reel and another buddy has 2 of the newer 06 sealions that are silent. No problems so far on any of these in daily charter service jigging for yellowtail with heavy drag settings. But when 3 were sent back for service, they had a lot of salt in them, and we are pretty fanatic about washing them with fresh daily.
Factory sent some "different" daily cleaning procedure to my friend, so I will try to find out their suggestions.
Very pleased with these reals so far.