July 4th Cod & Halibut Combo

Started by Crab Pot, July 08, 2021, 02:45:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crab Pot

Finally got out of the Valley and it's heat to the coast for a Rock Cod Halibut Combo trip with my good friends Freddy & Steve and Freddy's dog Josie.

We splashed at the Richmond Marina iat 0500 and were off to the J & P Bait barge at Pier 47. J & P had some premium live bait, 4-6 inch Anchovies that were lively as could be. $35.00 for a half scope and we were off.

Once baited up we headed west under the Golden Gate Bridge and set our course for the wreck of the cargo ship SS Jacob Lukenbach which sank in a foggy collision in July 1953. The Lukenbach was heading out to Korea with war supplies when it struck the SS Hawaiian Pilot which was on it's way to the Port of Oakland. The Luckenbach sank approx. 17 miles off of Daily City within 30 minutes, but thankfully without loss of life.

The ride out was uneventful but we did see many Grey and or Humpback whales and schools of Anchovies being pushed to the surface.

Once on the wreck we sent our swim baits and Diamond style jigs down targeting Ling Cod. Within minutes we were pulling up bigger than average Copper Rock Cod. Not what we wanted but they were 5-8 pound class fish so in the box they went. We had to leave by 0900 to catch the out going tide for the Halibut in the Bay with only 11 but it was fun.

On the run in we found a fleet of Salmon charter boats and private boats. I quit counting at 30 but they were approx. 5 miles west of the Golden Gate.

Once in the Bay we went south and hit the coves around Hunters Point where we caught a lot of shakers.

From there we hit the north side of Treasure Island for more shakers.

Ended the day at Red Rock Island for, you guessed it, more shakers.

Zero keepers on the Halibut.

As I said the whale watching was amazing and up close. They were coming up for air within 30 yards of the boat while we were on the wreck.

Ever smell a whales breath? Let's just say it isn't pleasant and they were in the mood to share...often.  :-\

FYI: The last few times we splashed out of Richmond we were greeted by Game Wardens on the pull out.
Buy it nice or buy it twice.

Bill B

Good report...great to hear you were at least catching the butts....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

kmstorm64

Nice report, sounds like the fleet was hitting the Duxbury area hard!  Sorry about the shakers, but you took some stuff some!
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!

JoseCuervo

Yes, I have smelled the breath of a whale. Nasty is an understatement.. Rotten anchovies about says it all-

Been there and done that with the ping pong paddle butts too.

Were the fish cops looking for coho salmon?

Rob

Dominick

Terrific.  Another good day on the water.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Hardy Boy

Looks like fun except for maybe the Coors Lite  ;D

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Crab Pot

I think the Fish Cop was looking for Salmon, Silver's I'm sure.

But he looked into every hold and ice chest that we had!

Just doing his job.

Coors Light, Whales Breath, & Shakers...sounds like a country song.
Buy it nice or buy it twice.

JoseCuervo

Quote from: Crab Pot on July 15, 2021, 12:54:41 AM
I think the Fish Cop was looking for Salmon, Silver's I'm sure.

But he looked into every hold and ice chest that we had!

Just doing his job.

Coors Light, Whales Breath, & Shakers...sounds like a country song.

I was curious as they also take [can confiscate] the heads of King Salmon that don't have an adipose fin, meaning they were likely farm raised and are lojacked (have an implanted micro chip) they can recover for analyisis.

Some people aren't OK with that.

:o

PacRat

Maybe the people who aren't okay with surrendering the heads are planning on making 'Stink Heads'? That's where I draw the line, you won't catch me eating those.

-Mike