Main Menu

Local Tuna

Started by Bill B, July 08, 2021, 04:36:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

Davey's Locker in Newport Harbor, CA, is reporting bluefin tuna 5 miles outside the harbor......Western Pride on a 1/2 day trip and the Freelance on a 3/4 day hooked up a BF each........Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

alantani

let's see if they're slide up north another 400 miles!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Brewcrafter

Yeah, my friend is "calling in sick" tomorrow (damn County workers!) to see if he can find them with his boat. - john

Bill B

Just curious, how many boats in the LA/OC and Ventura area have the RSW tanks to keep the fish from turning to mush?  Bill

MarkT

You don't need a RSW... go out 5 miles, catch a fish, go back home!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Gobi King

Quote from: MarkT on July 08, 2021, 04:59:11 PM
tie a stringer and tow it behind the boat home, look on the bright side, you might get a few sharks to follow it and make 1 fish into 3  ;D
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Bill B

Quote from: MarkT on July 08, 2021, 04:59:11 PM

I would just hate to go out on a 1.5 day trip and have my fish sitting in a gunney sack the whole time....Bill

Brewcrafter

Bill speaks the truth, and for our AT Forum friends here from other parts of the world that may have no idea what "SD Long Range" type fishing is about it may seem unusual to talk about "RSW" (refrigerated salt water) and the like.  Of course there are not many areas in the world where one can hop on a boat for an 8-16 day trip either, or have your fish gutted and held in near freezing salt water until arrival at the processors to be packaged.  And I suspect most of us in our formative days did the "pay .50 for a gunnysack at the start of the trip along with $1 for the jackpot" routine.  And truthfully, while I would not recommend it, in many circumstances that burlap sack being continually hosed down by a deckhand (you do have a potential jackpot fish in there, right?  Gotta keep them moist!) probably did a good depression era job of actually taking care of the fish in it's own evaporative cooling kind of way. 
For private boaters, kill bags or ice chests are the way to go.  My buddies boat that I mentioned above has two insulated sub-deck fishwells; and every single trip he will bust my balls about what the 100# of ice I bought that isn't doing anything is doing for our fuel mileage (yeah, we all cover fuel as well ;D).  And honestly, more than once we have "cleaned at sea" and put the fillets into the ice chest (Folks, please be VERY cognizant of laws pertaining to this!)
I'm with Bill - catch something, go all the way to make it as good as it can be on the table.  Like the old joke says, for a ham and eggs breakfast the chicken is invested, but the pig is committed.... - john

Bill B

SoCalAngler

Most of the boats that do overnight trips and longer will have brine freezers at the minimum. A few of the boats that do overnight trips also have RSW. As far as RSW goes I think the longest you can keep a fish in it is like four or five days anything longer will be put into the brine freezer.

Brewcrafter

Well, my private boater buddy got back, and was in fish all day.  BUT - as those who know Bluefin - they were being Bluefin - wouldn't bite 30# but go down to 20# and a #1 circle - and struggle with a plunker bite.  Commercial grade fish.  Fine for a small private boat with a couple of folks where you can be flexible but not gonna work very well on a sportfisher with 40+ folks, no matter how much bait you were throwing. 

kevin cozens

we get the odd bluefin here in the UK. They are being caught in western side of the country. they are not normally a species we associate with the UK but due to warmer waters they are getting more common. they are quiet often caught unexpectantly when fishing for shark. they can be anywhere up to 500lbs. as you can imagine they put up a good scrap on normal 50lb sharking gear.
The biggest caught in UK waters is an estimated 900lbs. all UK caught tuna have to be returned by law.
i was actually booked to go fishing on the weekend just gone on the boat (atlantic blue) that caught the 900 pounder but the day was cancelled due to high winds

i just found a video of the 900 pounder
https://www.saltwatersportsman.com/news/biggest-bluefin-ever-caught-in-the-uk/#:~:text=The%20900%2Dpound%20giant%20bluefin,released%20after%20an%20epic%20battle.&text=A%20Welsh%20charter%20captain%20and,weigh%20more%20than%20900%20pounds.

Cor

I was in Ireland about 2 years ago around Shannon and a bit more North and was astounded to see the old pictures of huge Bluefin Tuna in the pubs around there.    But as the oceans warm up more you may start finding all types of warm water species in the Channel. :d
Cornelis

Shellbelly

Quote from: MarkT on July 08, 2021, 04:59:11 PMYou don't need a RSW... go out 5 miles, catch a fish, go back home!
Amen!  If you have the means and equipment to fish deeper waters any time you can, then you can decide when to keep a special fish and go in or release it and keep fishing.

As a teenager, I saw many fish wasted on the decks of private boats just so they could be displayed at the dock.  One day, my dad and I watched 3 cobia from one boat go to the crab fisherman.  They had plenty of ice for beverages, though.  Going fishing and being a fisherman are two different things.

Glad to hear that a 900# tuna was hooked and released.  I would have tagged it anyway.  The tracking data is more important than the silly rules. 
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)