Main Menu

Cherry Cobbler

Started by Bill B, June 29, 2021, 09:18:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

A summer favorite.  Our cherry tree ripens around the 4 th of July, so it is only fitting to make a cherry cobbler....

Ingredients

For The Filling
5 cups (770 g) pitted and halved sweet red cherries, about 1.7 pounds
⅔ cup (133 g) granulated sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
¼ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon almond extract

For The Topping
1 1/2 cup (130 g) all-purpose flour3/4 cup (100 g) sugar
1 1/2  teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold, cut into pieces

Instructions
In a large saucepan, combine the cherries, sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Stir in the lemon juice, vanilla extract, and almond extract. Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook for 5 minutes, or until cherries are tender and juices have thickened. Transfer cherries to an ungreased 8-inch square baking pan.
Make The Topping

Preheat the oven to 450°F.
Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Using a pastry blender, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Gradually add enough milk to moisten the dough. Drop by the spoonfuls over the top of the cherries. Bake for 10-15 minutes, until the top is golden brown and biscuit is cooked through.
Notes
You'll need about 1.7 pounds of cherries. Use any variety you like. For a sweeter taste, choose dark red cherries such as Bing or Balaton. If you prefer a sour variety, you may need to add ¼ to ½ cup more sugar depending on taste.

A big scoop of vanilla ice cream and you are all set......enjoy....Bill

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Wompus Cat

I can almost Taste it from the Screen.
Cherry Cobler/Pie is my Favorite of all .
Thanks for the Recipe.
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Hardy Boy

That looks really good. Make some next time I'm down there !!

Todd
Todd

happyhooker

Cobbler looks super tasty.  I'm a sucker for stuff like that.

In Minnesota, we can't grow sweet cherries (not winter hardy).  But the pie cherries (we have "North Star") ripen here also around 1st week of July.  A very simple recipe for a cherry dessert that I've been eating for years:

Cover the bottom of a 9" by 15" (or 9" by 13") pan (metal or glass; we always use glass) with miniature marshmallows.  Mix up a box of yellow cake mix, per the box directions, and pour over the marshmallows.  Finally, on top, place 4-5 cups of pitted cherries (strawberries work too; our season on those just ended), either fresh or thawed frozen.  Place in oven and bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes.  Fruit will bake to the bottom.  Serve with cream or ice cream.  Store pan in fridge if you don't eat it all at once.

Recipe courtesy of Crippled Children's School, Inc., Worthington, MN (aka Client Community Services).

Frank

Stan

Thanks, Bill..I made this tonight and it was great.  We bought some cherries the other day, and they didn't have much taste, so  I was looking for a way to cook them and bring out the flavor.  This worked perfectly!

Bill B

Cool beans Stan......depending on the flavor of the cherries I up/down the amount of sugar.  I like them a little tart to compliment the ice cream.....Bill

happyhooker

Picked the North Stars today on the 4th.  A mature, semi-dwarf tree (about 8 ft. high) will, in a decent year, produce about 20 quarts of berries.  Three cups of berries or so makes a pound.

Frank

Bill B

They look mighty tasty.....Bill

happyhooker

Here's a couple of pics, one of the made dessert per the recipe posted 6/30, and the other of some cherry jelly made from the same fruit.

Bill, I hope you didn't feel I hijacked your post.  Just figured all things cherry might live peacefully together.  The cobbler you made and the dessert are really different; cobbler is mainly a fancy fruit filling with a topping spooned on (the fruit is the #1 thing), whereas my dessert is really a cake with a cherry topping (the cake is the #1 thing), all baked together,  I could go for a piece of either right now.  The jelly usually goes on toast, or a PB & J, or maybe an ice cream topping (it's a darker red than a Shakespeare "Royal Maroon" reel!)

The canning lid shortage continues.  Looked regularly in every store we went into over the last few months, with little luck.  A couple places took our phone number, with a promise to call if lids came in, but only one called back (thank you, Hardware Hank) and we got a few boxes that way.  Timed a visit to one store right after they opened (and, right after they had done some restocking) and saw they had received a grand total of one case (24 boxes), of which most were already gone, but we got a couple boxes that way too.  Finally, a sister-in-law has some Amish folks as friends, and they were getting some offbrand lids right from a factory, shipped in paper rolls of about 15 dozen per roll; they shared a few with the sister-in-law and she shared a few with us.  When you can find them, prices are 50-100% higher than usual; one store had the wide mouth lids (which many can't use) made in China for $8 for 12 lids, which would be close to 2 1/2 times what they would have been for a name brand 18 months ago.

Frank

Bill B

No worries brother....post away....always good to hear what is going on in your neck of the woods.  I was thinking about canning some of my cherries this year, but they got eaten almost as fast as I could pick them.  Bill

mo65

You guys are killin' me with these cobblers...lol...looks great Bill! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

milne

Wow Bill,
               I'm drooling out of the corner of my mouth here !!!

Col

Maxed Out

Nicely done Bill !! I'm a big fan of home made cherry cobbler.

I read this a few days ago and our local cherries are still a few weeks out. I had to settle for a blueberry pie. The berries are from my backyard. I was inspired by Bill or this pie might not have happened.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Bill B

Looks wonderful brother.....next year I will have to trade you a quart of cherries for a quart of blueberries.....sad to say all my cherries are done for the year  >:(.  But was great while it lasted....Bill

happyhooker

Quote from: Bill B (Tarfu) on July 09, 2021, 03:37:38 AM
Looks wonderful brother.....next year I will have to trade you a quart of cherries for a quart of blueberries.....sad to say all my cherries are done for the year  >:(.  But was great while it lasted....Bill

Raspberries starting to show up (early) now.  Strawberries in June, cherries in early July and then raspberries.  Blueberries tougher to grow in alkaline soil as I have.

Frank