220 Lefty silent dog?

Started by redfish12, January 15, 2012, 07:27:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redfish12

This may sound strange but is there a modification to reduce the noise in this reel? I had a 220 S series that I sold to switch to the lefty (regret it bc the lefty is strange) and it seems much louder. Any advice?

Norcal Pescador

Earplugs? ;D  Seriously, Newells are just plain noisy.  :-\
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

alantani

all you can do is gum them up with grease.  not a good thing, sorry......
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

redfish12

Thanks guys! I'm getting used to it, just thought it seemed louder than the last one. I put some grease in there, it's a little better now.

One other Newell question- if I cut the clamp attachment points out of the reel seat will I mess with the structural integrity of the reel? I recently received a custom tautog rod that has a small fuji reel seat on it. I had intended to use an AVET SX or the Newell 220L on it, but neither will fit with out modification. I do not want to use the clamp anyway because the blank is exposed in the reel seat for additional sensitivity. I can post some pictures, but it's essentially the reel seat you'd see on one of the new largemouth bass style rods on a heavier boat rod. Think that would work?

I'm a kayak only guy so I'd ideally like to use the 220 or another durable reel. I took the new rod out over the weekend to freshwater fish and used a Shimano Cardiff 401a but I do not trust that reel for long trips in the salt. I got rid of my 6501 c3 because it was unreliable, any other options out there with a reel seat like an Abu or Shimano Calcutta? I know you all are west coast guys, but I'd like to be able to fish for red drum with the set up as well (which means long casts, long runs, and fish up to about 30-60lbs).

Thanks for the help guys!

Bryan Young

I would recommend a Jigmaster 501.  Narrow spool, reliable, and easy to maintain.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

redfish12

Thanks for the recommendation! I have an accurate 501 conversion but the reel seat is too thick to fit in the new rod. I'll keep looking. Any idea if cutting the clamp attachment points from the Newell reel seat will have any ill effects?

Irish Jigger

Bryan's advice is good. Just file the brass reel seat (30-49) to suit your rod fitting and away you go.

Bryan Young

You should be fine filing down the newell reel seat, I personally would switch back to a penn reel seat (because these are eaiser to get and replace).
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D