Pflueger Schematic for Saltwater-sized Reels with "Mechanical Thumber"?

Started by Paul Roberts, July 09, 2021, 04:31:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Roberts

Takin' a shot here...
I'm looking for a schematic for the Pflueger saltwater reels with the "Mechanical Thumber"; The Sea-Vue and Akerite specifically. For the smaller freshwater SkilKast, I have a schematic, and am familiar with them. I just opened up a Sea-Vue and the tiny bearings I expect to be there in the SkilKast are missing. See photos of both my Sea-Vue and SkilKast. That's not a huge surprise as they've surely surprised, and horrified, many a reel tinkerer over the decades. But, before I go looking for a parts reel, I'd like to be sure the large SW version did indeed have the little bearings. The mechanism is a little bit different from the smaller SkilKast, but the cam is there, so I assume the bearings should be too.

If anyone has a schematic, or knows the insides of the SW-sized "MT", lemme know. Secondarily, if anyone has a Pflueger Sea-Vue, or Akerite, in parts condition (with bearings intact) they'd be willing to part with, I'd be interested. I also might be able to use bearings from a ball-bearing set... Might start there in fact. Any info would be helpful.

Thanks,
Paul

Wompus Cat

The Bigger Reels used a little Different type of Thumber/Tumbler ,Mumbo Jumbo thingamajigger .
Here is a Sea King model  I just happened  to have on my desk and will try to find a Sea Vue  later today
BUT asmy failing  Memory serves me I tink they are pretty much the same .
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Paul Roberts

Henry, thanks for this. I actually have a Sea King (2188) and opened its MT last night. See photo. It is not the same as the Sea-Vue, and Akerite. The Sea King's MT is smaller and internally has no cam and bearings arrangement. It's just washers. Maybe Pflueger got tired of the howling of the tinkerers and service folks and let go of the original design? Will be curious how well the Sea King version works. The (older?) bearing version I've been quite impressed with in the SkilKast.

If and when you open your Sea-Vue, would you measure the bearings diameter, if possible? I think I can order loose bearings, just need to know the size. If you can't, or... they aren't there, I'll measure the cam depth and go with that. If you are indeed missing bearings, and things work out at this end, I'll send you some of those bearings. To really know, I'd have to pull a rod out of storage, which I may not have time to do. So, one of us can test the MT.

Paul

Paul Roberts

OK, I've looked at the Sea-Vue MT internals again, to measure the depth of the cams. And with the spool shaft in place, it may be that the bearings found in the SkilKast are not needed. The two cams (see photo #1 above) act as a one-way ratchet that drags on the shaft in the line-out direction, and spin free of each other in the line-in (retrieving) direction. Pretty nifty! Henry, I'd be curious to know whether your Sea-Vue(s) have the tiny bearings. I'm guessing they don't. The MT on the Sea-Vue is an easy take down.

Wompus Cat

Paul, I have some more Manuals somewhere  ::) .
I know I have the schematics for nearly all the older  Pflueger's and just don't remember the bigger ones having the Bearings in them as they have a different type of (clutch) if you will system .

Paul Roberts

Quote from: Wompus Cat on July 09, 2021, 12:10:20 PM
The Bigger Reels used a little Different type of Thumber/Tumbler ,Mumbo Jumbo thingamajigger .
Here is a Sea King model  I just happened  to have on my desk and will try to find a Sea Vue  later today
BUT asmy failing  Memory serves me I tink they are pretty much the same .
Henry, I hate to ask this of you... Could you take a clearer photo of that page, better light, and square to the page? I can't make out the parts numbers to ID them. My Sea King might be missing a part or two in the MT. But I can't quite tell.

Thanks,
Paul

Wompus Cat

No prob been up since 5 AM working packing Parts and making Room for stuff  at shop just got home and had to mow whilst there is a Break in the Rain . Still got 1.5  acres to do at shop and my Garden across from house.
Will remove the Schematic from my Book and scan it L8tr for ya.

Paul Roberts

Thanks, Henry. But... I found it in the ORCA library. Thought it was a catalog but it has service stuff too. Turns out I am missing a couple parts in the MT thingymabob. Could be that someone removed them to get full freespool. I'd like to see how this version of the MT works. Might be looking for a parts reel.

That's a lot of mowing. You aren't using a vintage reel mower are you? :D

Wompus Cat

Quote from: Paul Roberts on July 10, 2021, 10:00:30 PM
Thanks, Henry. But... I found it in the ORCA library. Thought it was a catalog but it has service stuff too. Turns out I am missing a couple parts in the MT thingymabob. Could be that someone removed them to get full freespool. I'd like to see how this version of the MT works. Might be looking for a parts reel.

That's a lot of mowing. You aren't using a vintage reel mower are you? :D

Well I loaded a copy in SCHEMATICS FOR THE OHANA for future reference

QuoteThat's a lot of mowing. You aren't using a vintage reel mower are you? Cheesy

I use a small 54" Cut Zero Turn  HUSTLER FAST TRACK  built in 2006