CorrosionX & ReelX

Started by bhamlin52, July 10, 2021, 06:25:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bhamlin52

Is there a difference between CorrosionX and ReelX oil or are they the same product?

Wolli

These are not the same products. ReelX reduces friction by 1/3 compared to CorrosionX.
love jigging    www.jupiter-sunrise-lodge.com/de/
Authorized Jigging Master Service Partner (in Germany)

El Pescador

The company has another product - SPEED-X

For me, College Chemistry, or was it physics??? was in the late 1970's - WAY.... too long ago to remember every about...

Friction Coefficient vs Load and Temperature

so, Please enjoy the read.

https://www.corrosionx.com/collections/lubricants/products/speedx

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

oc1

Yeah, that is an almost overwhelming amount of information and gobbledygoop.  I'm so confused.

They never do seem tp answer the OP's original question.   Both Reel-X and Corrosion-X have polar bonding, fluid thin film coating and corrosion resistance.

Their Air Tool Treatment seems to do all that but also displaces moisture.

I have to admit, when my small bottle of Reel-X ran out, I refilled it from a larger container of Corrosion-X erroneously thinking they were the same thing.

Brewcrafter

Hopefully soon Jurelometer Dave with add to the thread with his "tech gobblygook" translation skills.  For myself, I have always used my spray can of CorrosionX in a way synonymous with WD40 - as a cleaner, coater, or inhibitor.  And pretty much the eyedropper bottle of ReelX as a lubricant oil, pretty much interchangeably with my bottle of TSI321 (I basically grab whichever one is closer  :D) - john

Tiddlerbasher

A few years ago I did a comparison of ReelX to TSI301 (homemade version from TSI321). The test was first done on the same baitcaster checking for distance achieved - minmal difference with ReelX probably just edging it. I then checked spin time on a conventional reel - again ReelX just (only just) edged it. But over several months the TSI was still going strong - the ReelX however had lost some of its performance and the TSI was noticeably better. I do find the TSI lasts between services - the ReelX does seem to 'degrade' much more quickly. I just checked a reel that hasn't been used since last service 3 years ago - still spinning great on TSI :)
I still use CorrosionX to wipe down reels and some tools that are used alot outside. The ReelX is still in the rack but isn't reely used.

jurelometer

Quote from: Brewcrafter on July 10, 2021, 07:59:58 PM
Hopefully soon Jurelometer Dave with add to the thread with his "tech gobblygook" translation skills.  For myself, I have always used my spray can of CorrosionX in a way synonymous with WD40 - as a cleaner, coater, or inhibitor.  And pretty much the eyedropper bottle of ReelX as a lubricant oil, pretty much interchangeably with my bottle of TSI321 (I basically grab whichever one is closer  :D) - john

I'll take the bait, with a caveat- I am not trained in any of this stuff.

First of all, we have to veer off topic-  I just HAD to look up the origin of gobbledygook.  Coined during WWII, it refers to the combination of complex jargon and the sounds that a turkey makes! HA!   Another good choice is bafflegab (often implies a more deliberate intent to confuse/deceive the listener).

OK- back on topic and to the original question about the difference between Corrosion-X and Reel-X:

The paper that Wayne referenced was referring to Speed-X not Reel-X.

Bypassing all the gobbledygook and bafflegab in the technical marketing literature, let's take a look at SDS's for differences in the ingredients.   

The main ingredient (>90%)  is the same  for all three : petroleum distillates- hydrotreated, heavy paraffinic.  I presume this is the stuff that is making a thin film coating on the surface.

Now for the differences- Corrosion-X adds in butane and propane.  Don't know if this is acting as a propellant, solvent, or a bit of both.  I would suspect both.

Reel-X does not have butane or propane, but it adds in Alkenyl Amine.   I have no idea how amines work (something about hydrogen bonding), but a bit of web sleuthing leads me to think that these type of amines are used in other lubricants to provide better bonding, especially to metals, and increasing the boiling point of lubricants.  So this additive is probably improving bonding, and make the coating more durable.   In terms of heat and pressure- the limited demands of casting reel bearings relative to serious industrial usage means that these increased capabilities are probably not taken advantage of.

Speed-x ingredient list looks exactly the same as Reel-x.   Maybe the same product with a different label, or there may be some differences in the individual ingredients that are not required to be described in the SDS.

That sheet that Wayne referenced is probably highlighting the advantages of Alkenyl Amine as an additive that matter for some industrial uses, but I suspect do not mean much for a fishing reel for the reasons mentioned above.  And the usage of coefficient of friction in the paper is a bit baffling (looks incorrect to me, unless this is some sort of industry shorthand).  Looks like a marketing guy worked with a technical guy to cook up a batch of bafflespeak gumbo :)

A bit on thin film and solid/dry lubricants (because I always incorrectly use these terms interchangeably):  Once the thickness of the coating gets below a certain level, the lubricant is classified as thin film.   Lubricants are usually a liquid, but not always.  A solid thin film lubricant has some advantages in casting-related bearings, as there is no oil or grease for the balls to push out of the way.  The disadvantage is that grease and oil will migrate back in, sort of re-lubricating the surface, but the metal surface loses its lubrication and corrosion protection once a patch of solid lubricant is worn off.

My guess is that these type of lubricants are probably solid film.  It is useful to think about application as sort of like applying a coat of paint that starts out as a liquid but reduces to a solid coating. 

TSI also has a pair of products (301 and 321) where one contains a solvent and the other doesn't.  I think that this is also the main difference between Corrosion-x and Reel-x.  One is more useful when you want to clean and lubricate/protect, the other skips the cleaning step and has an extra ingredient or two to improve bonding or other other performance characteristics.  According to the product literature,  TSI 301 appears to use stronger solvents that are less compatible with plastics than Corrosion-X. 

I'll leave it to the repair pros to make more specific recommendations about when to use each.

If there is a real (TM) chemistry expert out there, I would be grateful for any corrections.

-J

Cor

Some years ago I purchased a spray can of Corrosion X and somewhat reluctantly also a smaller can of Reel X which was quite a bit more expensive.
My sceptic mind said "product differentiation marketing ploy don't buy" ....but I did.
When I got the stuff I decided it looked the same, smelt the same, felt the same and my original thoughts were correct.   That is as far as my analytic scientific knowledge goes. ;D

The large can is now finished and I have just started using the smaller can with the more expensive stuff.

Thank you Jurelometer. :D

OH nearly forgot......and I phoned the local distributor and asked him about it, I also got the turkey stuff, then asked could he not sell it in small bottles, not spray cans.    "No no not possible" was the reply, but I had the impression that they recieve it in bulk and pack it here.     The point of this is that a spray can it very wasteful, or then the kind we get here.   You can't make a small drop on something, it comes out the nozzle in a whoosh, 10 drops at a time.

Cornelis

bhamlin52

I sent a message to CorrosionX and asked them if of CorrosionX and RealX are the same product. This was the reply.

There is a difference.  They both start their life off as CorrosionX but there is an additive in ReelX that creates more speed and lubrication than CorrosionX alone.

Alan Goldberg
VP Sales

johndtuttle

Bah Humbug and Harumpf!

Its all just lovely stuff so I don't sweat it...reminds me of the Gun-X v Corrosion-X debate....Gun-x (or w/e it was called) was the best because it was by far the cheapest for some strange reason (and identical to corrosion-x).

While I will grant the adherents to TSI 321 the longevity crown (and distance fwiw) I find that I am slathering more CX on stuff as a solvent and rust remover. It just plain works for everything and I am re-lubing before every trip anyways. Price is right, tastes great!

And a little extra distance don't mean squat really in the long run. The difference is so minor as to be negligible for all except distance competition nerds.

Flipping a sardine with a 50W is gonna be more about technique than speed lube, imo.

And Sal sends a harumpf too!  ;D

oc1

I use the lightest oil I can find and use a lot of it.  I don't add a drop, I squirt in enough for it to run off and flush things out.  Reel is oiled through ports to the outside so it can be done quickly in the field after every three or four hours of use.  Right now it's 3-In-One pneumatic tool oil.  It has a lot of solvent to get rid of the emulsion and gunk and sludge.

The red Hot Sauce lube is the only thing I've found that is too light and volatile..  You can't even keep that stuff in the bottle.  I might try the Corrosion-X Air Tool Treatment next.

A little extra distance means everything to me.  It might not catch more fish but it makes me feel better while not catching.

jurelometer

Quote from: bhamlin52 on July 12, 2021, 10:44:58 PM
I sent a message to CorrosionX and asked them if of CorrosionX and RealX are the same product. This was the reply.

There is a difference.  They both start their life off as CorrosionX but there is an additive in ReelX that creates more speed and lubrication than CorrosionX alone.

Alan Goldberg
VP Sales

Thanks for the intel!

Now here is where things get interesting:

As noted before,  all of the -X liquids we have discussed in this thread have identical SDS"s. Only the aerosol is different.   Per USA OSHA regulations, ALL ingredients and percentages of each have to be listed. If a trade secret is claimed, there still has to be notations that identify the use of a trade secret ingredient, and a percentage range.

I don't see how two products can have different ingredients and identical  SDS's.  Adding  an additive does not get you off the hook.  It is either an ingredient, or it turns one of the other ingredients into a compound, which still has to be listed.  All this is spelled out in the regulations:

https://www.osha.gov/sites/default/files/publications/OSHA3514.pdf

As noted in my previous post, Corrosion-X  liquid and Reel-X have identical SDS's.  But Corriosion-X aerosol SDS is missing the amine, which appears to be something that lubricant manufacturers use to improve some characteristics  (also noted in previous post).  

So  the corporate  answer may be technically correct if we are comparing Corrosion-x aerosol to  Reel-x, but probably not correct comparing Corrosion-x liquid to Reel-X. Or there is a mistake in an SDS (unlikely).

An interesting follow-up question would be: "Since these other three products have identical SDS's, is it safe to assume that they are chemically the same product?"   When I ask a manufacturer these kind of questions as a consumer, I don't usually get a response.

At this point,  I would place my bet along with John T.  Buy what is cheaper, or use what you have.  They are all probably the same, or close enough that you will never notice the difference.

-J