My Personal Best South Jersey Weakfish

Started by newport, July 11, 2021, 09:05:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

I didnt knew what is know as "weakfish" is not other than a fish from the same family than our orange mouth curvinas (Cynoscion xanthulus) and our yellowtail curvinas (Cynoscion stolzmanni)

#1 this an organge mouth curvina from the sea of cortez

#2 a Yellowtail curvina same Sea of Cortez, different spot
but this specie can grow almost as big as the WSB, this next is also a Yellowtail Curvina

The Baja Guy

newport

Quote from: Gfish on July 21, 2021, 08:12:31 PM
No smile ☺️, but a great nighttime picture. How do Weakfish taste relative to other local species?
I gotta Ci-14 1000 size Stratic. Well designed, smooth, fast, lightweight, 2-6 lb., expensive Shimano spinner.
They're good-eating fish. I'd put them up there with kingfish/whiting, which are another fish in the drum family. I said this before, but I prefer them to striped bass (honestly, I think most anything is better than stripers). They make good sashimi because of their soft flesh, which is similar to salmon, if you're into that kind of dining. However, they can be a bit too delicate when cooked, falling apart easily. I had one fillet baked with dill, lemon slices, salt, pepper, and butter. *Chef's kiss*
But the best-tasting fish in my local waters is a toss up between tautog, triggerfish, and . . . skate (hey, don't judge me).

Those Shimano Stradic Ci4s are well made, especially the gears. Even the smaller reels can take a beating. A few years back, using the same reel (the 3000fa), I hooked into a monster. It's stupid, but I fought this fish for nearly 3 hours before it broke me off. I never got to see a glimpse of it. But after all that time, the only thing I had to replace were the felt washers which appeared disintegrated. These little spinners are well worth the money, even after having replaced the bearings.
Quote from: steelfish on July 22, 2021, 05:20:45 PM
I didnt knew what is know as "weakfish" is not other than a fish from the same family than our orange mouth curvinas (Cynoscion xanthulus) and our yellowtail curvinas (Cynoscion stolzmanni)

#1 this an organge mouth curvina from the sea of cortez

#2 a Yellowtail curvina same Sea of Cortez, different spot
but this specie can grow almost as big as the WSB, this next is also a Yellowtail Curvina

I'm familiar with the larger, west coast cousins. I believe Jeremy Wade did an episode on the curvina, if I recall correctly in his new Dark Waters series. They're on the bucket list.