Sears Ted Williams 410 (Zangi?)

Started by 6thMichCav, July 11, 2021, 11:53:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

6thMichCav

I have been perusing the forum for quite some time and found several reels based on the excellent tutorials and posts from the membership. So, my first task is to thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience.

Next, I found a Sears Ted Williams model 410 marked "Made in Italy."  From previous posts this appears to be a Zangi reel. However—it is missing its bail spring. Does anyone have a photo of the spring so I can attempt to duplicate it?  I tried a wild guess with .030 music wire and got the bail to trip 80%, but my geometry is plainly off.

Thank you again for satisfying the curiosities of a reel nut.

oldmanjoe

I snap 2 pictures .   .030 wire just short of being 5 coils  , back tail at 12 oclock  and front tail about 10 oclock .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

6thMichCav

Excellent—thank you very much for the photo!  Also explains my construction failure!

Much obliged, sir.

6thMichCav

One more update with some good news. I made a test spring out of my .035 music wire using a screwdriver shaft locked in the vise as a mandrel. The test spring worked on the first try!

Thank you again for your assistance.

thorhammer

Thats some great intel on making a spring!

Donnyboat

Thats what you call, screwing a spring, great idea, very handy pic & explanation, thanks Joe, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Midway Tommy

Quote from: oldmanjoe on July 11, 2021, 04:01:30 PM
   I snap 2 pictures .   .030 wire just short of being 5 coils  , back tail at 12 oclock  and front tail about 10 oclock .

What is that creamy/yellow colored stuff on half of the spring?
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

oldmanjoe

Quote from: Midway Tommy on July 12, 2021, 07:15:11 PM
Quote from: oldmanjoe on July 11, 2021, 04:01:30 PM

What is that creamy/yellow colored stuff on half of the spring?
Over spay of yellow paint when the rotor was painted .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

happyhooker

Greetings, 6thMichCav, from Minnesota.  Glad this repair went well!  Bail springs can be a "trip", and it is handy to know how to forge a replacement.

Frank