Main Menu

Great trip...

Started by Aiala, July 12, 2021, 04:18:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aiala

Returned yesterday from my ROYAL STAR 8-day with the Barking Spiders (Mark Mayo's group, a truly excellent bunch of veteran anglers.) We started off at Alijos where the 25-35lb YTs were on a non-stop suicidal tear. And, to everyone's great delight, the water temp was up and we started catching wahoo --what Captain Tim likes to call "the elusive speedsters". I got in on the action with this 52.6lb skinny, which heedlessly ate my green Capt. Jimmy bomb:

We left the rocks and motored back north to the tuna grounds, where we initially encountered gazillions of lockjawed BFTs, but eventually Tim drove up to San Clemente Island and found fish that would bite, leading to a respectable score that included several cows. (I already had more than enough YT and Hoo, so passed on the BFT.)

All my Avets (and Fathom) performed flawlessly, all my knots held, I stayed out of the (very few) tangles, and I've already signed up for next year's trip. Good times!  :D

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

MarkT

Nice!  It's always a good trip when you get Wahoo!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Wompus Cat

Only thing I can see wrong with that is I wern't there with ya'll .
Nice Catch !!
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

foakes

Great report, Lannie.!

Thanks!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Hardy Boy

Great fish and nice work. Its great when a trip all comes together.

Cheers:

todd
Todd

Bill B

So glad you had a great trip....it is nice when you have had your fill of fish and can sit back and enjoy watching the action...Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

oc1

Has anyone ever seen a pile of wahoo that big?  Good going.

Maxed Out

Sounds like a decent outing. The captain made the right call to leave a bazillion BFT that had lockjaw.

Up here in the PNW, the saying goes, "never leave fish to find fish", but then again we don't have a pelagic biomass like So-Cal
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Dominick

Great report.  I'm glad you had a good time, and caught a bunch of fish.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

alantani

nice fish!!!!  i do cringe a little when i see opened toe footwear on the same deck as wahoo....   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Midway Tommy

Sounds & looks like a good time. Well done!
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Ron Jones

Quote from: alantani on July 12, 2021, 09:50:54 PM
nice fish!!!!  i do cringe a little when i see opened toe footwear on the same deck as wahoo....   ;D

Chomp!

The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"