Slow day turns good in Westport

Started by kmstorm64, July 12, 2021, 06:46:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kmstorm64

I went out on the Swifty last week for a day.  Started off good, but it died when a southerly wind picked up.  It was a rough ride out, and we were mooching.  I was taught to raise slow, lower slow and watch for the strike on the drop.  It has worked for me.  I always think of Eric Clapton when I mooch "Slow Hand."  Well we score three keepers 1 King, 2 Coho. I got one of the keeper Coho.  My neighbors Girlfriend scored the Keeper King!  I got 3 shakers, and another 3 misses in there hit but didn't get a hook.  Considering overall we had 5 shakers and 3 keepers I think I did okay. The bonus round came when the boat moved to a spot  near some rocks, and the rods were going crazy with Rock Cod and Ling Cod. I scored my PB ling to date a nice fat 34-36 incher (not sure as they had that thing, all the other rock cod processed in short order).  I am using 9 foot salmon rod and that ling had it doubled over and then some.  I had my trusty Newell 220 with me, and the fight was on, I swear I felt like a was hauling a 5 gallon bucket up, that was head shaking all the way. Mind you I am barbless on a mooching rig.  I slowly making progress, when the captain says they got to move the boat and bring your lines in.  Frak, "I am on guys!" Try and keep him on, but we got to move  we are too close to the rocks.  I held on for the move, and Mr. Ling stayed with me.  I keep trying to gain on him, and he keeps pulling line.  I forgot, I have the drag set light for salmon, I bump it slightly, and now I am making some progress.  I get him to the surface, and he is scooped in the net.  

For the Day: 1 Keeper Coho, 3 Shaker Kings (18", 19", and 20" respectively, keeper size is 22"), 2 Starry Flounder, 1 Black Bass, and 1 Big Ling around 34-36 inches.  The slow hand was the ticket.  I watched a lot of other people just jig and drop and didn't catch much of anything.  They just didn't do what they needed to do to stay on the fish.  The longer Rod also made a difference with the salmon as it was a lot more sensitive. It was not an expensive rod, simple Shimano Corvalis I think (Got it at West Marine, something like $50 rod (Kayakers don't spend huge money on rods, as the odds are stacked we are going to lose them).
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !