Fishing Tackle Swap Meets?

Started by jgp12000, July 12, 2021, 11:47:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wompus Cat

Just Call BR549 !
Bring the Wife  We'll Dicker !
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

foakes

I get folks who try the cash gimmick on me — or they say their wife won't let them buy it for that much money right now.

For the cash chiselers — I generally raise the price $1000 on them after that sort of dishonest grinding stunt.  There is always another buyer — no worries.

For the guy who wants something and agrees to a price — then comes back saying that his wife won't let him buy it — I tell him that is certainly a relief, because I really needed to ask my wife if it is OK to sell it to you!

I just laugh about the shenanigans some people try to pull when money is involved.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

PacRat

Reminds me of the time I was at a gun show and I heard someone ask,"How much for just the grips?" and the vendor answered,"$600 but you get a free pistol with them!"

-Mike

Wompus Cat

I use to get  people who would say (I can get that from Joe Blows's for a lot less .) To which I would reply
good , Joe know's what his Crap is Worth . 

foakes

It is important to remember —

While we may recall the wanna-be chiselers and cheats — the vast majority of buyers and sellers are extremely honest. 

90% of the time with the general public — fairness, trust, and solid transactions are in play.

On the Alan Tani site — it is 100%.

We can buy and sell our work, items, and our stuff — but our integrity is not for sale — and never will be.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

jgp12000

Another trick that got a friend of mine,while looking at a lot,the realtor gets a call.The realtor then tells my friend another couple is coming to put a deposit down in 30 minutes.This may have been true but I think it was a trick and he rushed into buying this lot he can't unload now,impulse buy.He kicks himself all the time about it.The way I look at it you can get deals but, if you don't feel peace about it or it doesn't work out for some reason, it wasn't meant to be.Now if I ran across a deal that's a no brainer even if I don't need it, I could sell it for a profit.I know the land was a larger sum of money than a reel,most of us would have to sleep on before buying. I generally discuss anything over $100 with my better half,unless it's for our grandchildren, she doesn't discuss it with me, she's the toy guru...

Cuttyhunker

I sometimes get the guy that offers me 25 bucks for an item marked 60, "Jees I just can't do that but tell you what, I'll let it go just today for 75".  Usually followed by an extended silence as the stupid guy with the stupid offer tries with great difficulty to do the math in his head. That's entertainment!  Who say chiseling has to be a one way street?
Doomed from childhood

Wompus Cat

Another line I get is
Well so and so's has those for 6 dollars but they are out of them  to which I reply that's way to high cause when I am out of those they are only 4.00  .  ;D

PacRat

One of the best lines I ever heard was a gun show.
The buyer looked at a 1911 and asked,"How much for just the grips?"
...and the seller responded."$600 dollars but I'll throw in the pistol for free!"