Trout decal placement

Started by jgp12000, July 13, 2021, 11:32:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgp12000

I just painted my 220 with VHT flat black wrinkle paint and it looks great. Before I did so I removed the trout decal that was about to come off. I was just curious and I know Fred has the answer, is there an exact location or was it just in the same general area the technician installed it when manufactured?

foakes

D-A-M used a flexible type of adhesive similar to a rubber glue —

— that is why the emblems flex a bit — but stay mostly intact over the decades.

I use either 3M Automotive Emblem Adhesive or clear Gorilla Glue.

Just about halfway between the A/R-Crank hub area and the rear of the casing.

So pretty much directly East.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

PacRat

...and speaking of decals. Fred, what do you do about the spool wraps on DQs?

I have two; one is a 5001 that has some pretty awful bin rash to the spool wrap. I haven't touched it yet because I can't decide if I need the reel (or if I should sell or trade it). If I keep it, I would probably just peel the wrap and leave the spool plain and get rid of the annoying little flap.

The other is a 1202 and isn't going anywhere. The only flaw is in the spool wrap. It has a few of those wrinkles that will let sand and water under the label. I have tried just ironing it back down with a little thumb pressure but the adhesive seems like that flexible adhesive or rubber glue that you just spoke of. When I try to iron the sticker down, the wrinkle will just migrate like a little wave. I've been tempted to just lift some of the wrap and re-apply it with a little tension and hope that it will remain flat. I really want to fish this reel but feel this wrap/sticker should be addressed before getting dirt under it. If I do remove it, I plan on dry mounting it flat so that I can scan it. I'm not really certain I want try the whole decal printing thing but I would want to preserve it for later. Who knows what technology will bring us in the next 5 years?

My other possible solution would be to look for a foil tape or contrasting vinyl tape and do a generic wrap. I really do think I should do something before using it and just removing the wrap might be the best solution unless there is a better way.

-Mike

foakes

If they are wrinkled, torn, distorted, or faded, Mike —

I just remove them and clean up the spool to remove any adhesive — then treat the spool with Penetrol for 3 minutes — wipe it down — and that's it.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

PacRat

Thanks Fred! I'll just fish the 1202 until the label flaps, then peel it. This one's a keeper. I see why you love the 1202...just an amazing reel.

After I made my first post I remembered I have a label maker that makes some pretty slick colored labels. Next time I have it out I'm going to experiment a little. Maybe after I spool it up I'll do a wrap with the model no. and what line I put on it.

-Mike

foakes

Great idea, Mike!

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

PacRat

I just checked the 3/8" tape options for the Brother P-touch. I have some decent options; Black on red, white on black, white on clear, and black on gold. Too bad there's not a yellow on black.

-Mike

PacRat

I got to monkeying around with the label maker today. It's not perfect but it's good enough. I could do a few tweaks and get it a little more refined but I'm just learning how to use the label printer with my PC. I have a lot more options this way.
-Mike

foakes

That is great work, Mike!

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.