sea of chrome

Started by sciaenops, July 14, 2021, 12:46:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sciaenops

We got into em good yesterday (mon 7/12) on our overnight charter on Endeavor out of Ventura.

Equipped w/candy, we experienced the best of one stop shopping on a mixed grade of wsb. Limits for 18 anglers plus a few for the crew. 

Handful of 10-15# yellowtail, and some nice reds/chucks to top off a great day on the water.

Most on dropper loop; maybe a couple on leadhead/slider.  Got sawed off early on a white Tady tipped w/live squirt, and lost a couple butterfly jigs and most of my 30# braid when my brand new spj rod sprung a leak. 

enjoy the carnage, Keith 

Maxed Out

Dang Keith, that looks like a lot of fish and a lot of fun !!

I'm guessing those wsb are good eating. Thanks for the report

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Crow

Wow ! You folks really cleaned  up !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

newport

:o . . . My god, I'd love a day like this.

Swami805

Wow nice trip!  When they want die like that it's crazy!
Do what you can with that you have where you are

johndtuttle

Banning gill nets is paying off everywhere big time!

Benni3

That was a fantastic trip,,,,,,, ;D

Ron Jones

I've never even HEARD of a wide oen WSB bite!
Very well done indeed.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Petah

Tucker is "The Man" when it comes to WSB!!! He's been killing it all year!!! He'll be taking the Endeavor down to
San Diego in the next week or so and if you want to kill some tuna, he can put you on them as well!!!
Glad you guys did so well!!!! WSB is one of my favorites for the dinner plate!!! I like to use a big Krocodile with the hook switched out with an
Owner Aki Twist and a live or dead squid or two pinned on!!!!

Peter

handi2

Are these fish similar to our Gulf Amberjack?

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Swami805

No not similar at all, they're a member of the croaker family. Very good to eat too
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Hardy Boy

I read a lot of reports and you don't see a WSB bite like that very often .................................... I would have loved to be there. One day I'll get them off my bucket list. Great fishing.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

sciaenops

Definitely lucked out being at right place & time.  I think it took me half a dozen trips before I bagged my first. 

Although they were mixed grade, probably half were north of 30#.

Drum/Croaker (Sciaenidae) family. Jumbo version of Atlantic/Gulf weakfish ("seatrout"). But not as big as the Totuava. 

Top 5 table fare imo - sashimi, pan sauteed or grilled. like a juicier halibut.

Keith

Bill B

What an epic bite you guys were on....good to see those kind of numbers coming over the rail....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!