Black Marlin on stock Penn 9/0

Started by SearedTuna, September 12, 2021, 12:59:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SearedTuna

Quote from: Gfish on September 12, 2021, 04:38:04 PM
Whoa, dude! Epic day! Shaka's back at ya. I love the idea of on laying on him 'till he was gone. Thanks for the pictures and narration. More talk story/pictures on this one and fishin/livin in Okinawa, please.

Living here in Okinawa is pretty amazing! The ocean is crazy beautiful! and I will get you folks some pictures up soon of the water here. It is stormy out right now but will clear up soon later in the week.

The fishing is very different here as you can imagine with it being Japan.
Lots of specific styles for target species. I target Pelagics mostly but the reefs have lots of exotic grouper and tons of other fish you will only see in books or aquariums.

As much as I would have liked to have more pictures of this Marlin, I was really concerned with getting it processed to keep it as fresh as possible since I eat what I catch and release what will not be used for food.

I have had 2 weeks to reflect on that amazing day and have thought several times....what if we would have, should have, ect. ect.

The truth is, it was exactly how it was supposed to be...., without bunches of crazy hero video and multitudes of pictures. Would I have liked to have had few more...absolutely!

When I embraced the fish who will forever be remembered to me as,"Hemingway",with my hands, I gazed into his eye, and he at mine...and in that instant, we both knew that this was our time.
The fact that I never let go of him until he passed, I truly believe that we became connected to each other and passed a part of ourselves to each one's spirit!
Sounds weird I know, but I have felt quite a bit different since the experience and cannot explain the energy that was encapsulated in that moment! Life changing is probably a gross understatement to be honest!

The fact that I did not harpoon or gaff him was also how he deserved to go. We both had a deep connection in the purest sense at that moment. It absolutely gave me a deeper respect of the majesty of this fantastic creature and an even deeper respect of the beauty of the Sea.

Some of my buddies have joked with me over the years about me being "The old man and the Sea"...well I guess I can say that I have lived a bit of what was written in that classic story to some extent.

I am forever grateful! And the fact that some of you old salts have congratulated this hillbilly fisherman, is somewhat of a validation to me for all the years I have spent fishing and learning. All I can say is never stop trying or having the best time, every time you are out on the water! You never know when the experience of your life will end up on the end of your gear! Set your spread, make noise, and have a good attitude!

I wish everyone blessings, tight lines, following seas, the chance to catch your dream fish, and the confidence to know that it is not about the latest and greatest gear..but determination to your craft and a big blessing from the God of all things!!!

I'm still gonna chase Marlin, but not too sure I will ever kill one by gaff or harpoon. I have seen it done up close, and it is not a very pretty sight, and certainly not befitting this magnificent animal!

One last thing to say.....I do not recommend that anyone grab a live, hooked Marlin by the face! ;) It could have been a much worse day for me...

thorhammer

Excellent write up. Keep the fish coming.

SearedTuna

Quote from: thorhammer on September 13, 2021, 11:36:15 AM
Excellent write up. Keep the fish coming.

Thank you, and hope to be able to share some future adventures with you all! Soon!!!!!

Swami805

Thanks for the report, heck of a job. Hand to hand combat with a marlin, fish of a lifetime!
Do what you can with that you have where you are

oldmanjoe

When I embraced the fish who will forever be remembered to me as,"Hemingway",with my hands, I gazed into his eye, and he at mine...and in that instant, we both knew that this was our time.
The fact that I never let go of him until he passed, I truly believe that we became connected to each other and passed a part of ourselves to each one's spirit!
Sounds weird I know, but I have felt quite a bit different since the experience and cannot explain the energy that was encapsulated in that moment! Life changing is probably a gross understatement to be honest!

The fact that I did not harpoon or gaff him was also how he deserved to go. We both had a deep connection in the purest sense at that moment. It absolutely gave me a deeper respect of the majesty of this fantastic creature and an even deeper respect of the beauty of the Sea.

Every fisherman should have the same experience and respect that you have .       Very well written , a clear vision in my mind .... 

Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Donnyboat

Thanks for a great report & pics, life time of good memories for you, congrats, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat