Pflueger Capitol 1985

Started by Paul Roberts, July 14, 2021, 06:59:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Roberts

Pflueger Capitol 1985 ("100yrd"). Introduced in 1936 with a long run, to at least 1959. The Capitol reels (3 models: 100, 250, 300yrd) do not have the "Mechanical Thumber" anti-backlash mechanism.

This one came in dirty but cleaned up nicely and is fully functional. Oddly, this is the second Pflueger SW reel that's had a single tooth broken on the ratchet. Although the layout photo doesn't show it, I got brave and took the entire FS clutch assembly apart. And of course, there was a spring in there waiting to spring! Looks a bit like a mousetrap spring. With my pre-photo's I was able to put it back together. Phew! I also have a Sea King, and did not disassemble the clutch, as it's adequate to clean the assembly without taking it off the plate.

foakes

Excellent cleanup and restoration, Paul!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Paul Roberts

Thanks, Fred. I'm getting to know some SW reels now, after doing a lot of FW reels. Sure is fun. Those old reels are pretty.

Wompus Cat

That Tooth Probably got broke off when the Car slipped off the Ramp when they were pulling it up on the Trailer!
Nice Restore .I have a Few of them redone and some to do.
Another Quick Take apart that loves to swell the Bakelite and be nearly impossible to Budge
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Paul Roberts

;D I was trying to picture what they were doing when that bronze tooth snapped. Interesting that both this Capitol and my Sea King have the exact same thing happen. Sharks and... 80lb line?

Gfish

Cool. I have one. Posted a bit on it somewhere here. My handle knob is trashed beyond repair. I called it a good 30lb. Reel.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Paul Roberts

Thanks, Gfish. I'm new to SW reels, and have been wondering just how strong/durable these older reels are... or what lines to rate them at. The best general advice I've heard is, "If you can get 300yrds on, you're good". Similar number to what we shot for with chinook salmon. But with super-thin PE braids now, capacity is not the limitation. My concern now is how strong a reel, esp spool, do we have on these old reels? Spools could be aluminum, brass, bakelite, plastic. I could see a given reel being rated at 20lb, 30lb, 40lb, ... as a safe limit. Then there's whether or not a reel is apt to be safe for nylon mono.

Reeltyme

I have worked on several of the Capitals, and the clutch spring is a "reel" BEAR to get back in. These reels are so underrated on the market these days it's sad. These reels are virtually tanks! They're a very well built heavy bodied reel that is capable in comparison to the 3/0 Senator in my opinion. A truly admirable reel!

Paul Roberts

Hi, Reelytyme. Fun username btw. Yes, that clutch spring snapped over as I fiddled with it! The apparatus, as complex looking as it is, had me confused at first. But once I saw the orientation -what's up and down- it wasn't so bad. The spring is to be set like a mousetrap being set, between the two clutch halves. The "ears" on one half just slide down under the "hooks" on the other half. The ears and hooks hold each other under tension. It just snapped into place. Not so afraid of them anymore. But I've got pictures now to refer to. Oh yes, there is the sprocket that sits inside that sandwich too. But it just sits in there and is held pretty well. One of those reels with more moving parts!

And yes, they are solid reels. I know which shipping boxes is the Capitol! It's the heavy one. I'm amazed that the "mousetrap spring", always under tension, is still kicking. In general, being new to really old reels (although I've been a "vintage" guy simply due to my age), I'm quite taken with the ingenuity and component quality of these old reels. I won't be able to fish with them for some time yet as my family's in transition. Can't wait.

Also, thanks for the 3/0 comparison. I'm trying to get a bead on what all this SW gear is all about. The range of sizes/powers is... as broad as the ocean!

Thanks for chiming in. Very helpful.

All the best, Paul

thorhammer

Love these, have a few that i need to polish like that! I'd agree- everbit as strong as a 3/0, certainly the 112. The stands on these are very beefy. If I was gonna fish one, I might put on 50 braid backing (for diameter not strength, and to keep some contractile pressure off the old arbor / sidewalls) and top with 30. That would do for a a whole lot of fishing. I'd think 300 yds braid and 100yds of mono, maybe more. Plenty for anything you'd fish for with that drag stack. Or leave it looking pretty and get a 30 buck Long Beach to fish similarly.

Bryan Young

Wow, I love those Capitals, but unfortunately, many have cracked side plates near the freespool button.  I have to find mine and see if I can make mine look as good as yours.  Beautiful.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Paul Roberts

Thanks, thorhammer. That's the kind of advice I'm in need of. I think I can judge the relative strength/quality of each reel I have acquired and having the Capitol as a ballpark 30lb reel helps. A question: Could I run 30lb braid up top, with a shorter mono topshot? Is the concern here with knots, stretch, line burn, ...?

Thanks, Bryan. Now that I know these reels are functional, some internal work, like drag washers, is next. Gotta decide which reels I'll actually be fishing with.

Gfish

Check the spool flange to side-plate clearance with the 30# braid. You don't want the braid gettin into your your reel guts.
Wow, that gear sleeve looks just like a Penn's, except for the squared off handle section.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Paul Roberts

Ah yes, those tolerances. Good point. Mono might be the best up top.

You know, I haven't got any Penn's. Potential blasphemy on this site, I know.

hants2

Quote from: Paul Roberts on July 16, 2021, 06:18:18 PMThanks, thorhammer. That's the kind of advice I'm in need of. I think I can judge the relative strength/quality of each reel I have acquired and having the Capitol as a ballpark 30lb reel helps. A question: Could I run 30lb braid up top, with a shorter mono topshot? Is the concern here with knots, stretch, line burn, ...?

Thanks, Bryan. Now that I know these reels are functional, some internal work, like drag washers, is next. Gotta decide which reels I'll actually be fishing with.
do the drag washers match up to any Penn washers?