Started by pjstevko, February 05, 2019, 05:51:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

philaroman

place the hooks on the graph paper, so that:
the top straight part of shank is on vertical line
and point touches horizontal line, then measure
I'm sure all the premium Japanese stuff is fairly uniform

Brewcrafter

All good tips and advice above.  And my point is coming from a guy that has a small fortune invested in ringed hooks (but small change compared to many of my friends).  But I throw this out for consideration.  One of my friends (and old stick with waaay more experience than me) on my trip in June pulled me aside during a finicky BF day bite when I was struggling, and like all good friends, said (Foghorn Leghorn impersonation here) "You're doing it all wrong Son!  Let me show you how it's done!"  Basically he nipped off my ringed hook, and tied a slick loop knot with a standard fine wire circle hook.  Now I know there are folks here that have tested all manner of knots for breaking strength, and that's "Knot"  ;D where I'm going with this.  His point was that those rings contribute to the weight that the bait has to haul around, regardless of whether you are talking "Gorilla Mutu" or "Live Flyliner" that getting rid of the ring, but still having that loose loop allowed the bait freedom to swim naturally but with less weight to drag around.  And I did hook up shortly after (and am practicing that knot now)  :D.  Again, I don't know if it's a panacea silver bullet solution, BUT his experienced, combined with the reasoning (and the fact that I like to learn by watching "hot sticks" to see what I could do better/improve on) certainly is something to be considered.  Especially since we are a spoiled with great sardine bait but what happens if in a few years its back to the anchovies of my youth? - john

Zazzara

Quote from: Brewcrafter on July 05, 2021, 08:27:27 PM
You're doing it all wrong Son!  Let me show you how it's done!"  Basically he nipped off my ringed hook, and tied a slick loop knot"

I can attest to the no-slip mono loop knot being an excellent choice.
I've used it in locked drag scenarios with 125 lb. leader and an 8/0 hook with excellent results.

It's more commonly used with artificials,
but is certainly a proper substitute for a ringed hook
when more "free-swing"  is desired for live bait fishing.
cursed with left handedness