Telescopic rods???

Started by wailua boy, July 16, 2021, 05:51:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Roberts

I too have been intrigued by telescopic rods. They were always poor quality though until more recently when higher end ones have appeared in Asian markets. If you are on a budget, though, I don't think I'd risk a vacation trip on a lower or moderate end telescoping rod. Multi-piece travel rods are proven. I can also see the issue of cleaning and drying them, esp in the salt. Might not be terribly convenient when you have to leave it fully extended to dry for a time after washing, before retracting it. But if you try one, let us know what you thought of it.

wailua boy

Thanks guys for all the good tips. I ended up breaking down and purchasing one of each, a 7ft nomad(4 piece) and a 12ft telescopic, a little more than I planned to spend but I'll think I'll keep the nomad for some time. I did receive the telescopic rod in mail and nomad should be here today or tomorrow, I'll post some pics if I manage to hook any fish with them. Thanks

Paul Roberts

Would love to get your opinion on the telescopic.

philaroman

how long is the 12' tel. collapsed?

steelfish

seems that Im bit late to answer cuz you already bought the telescopic rod

I asked the same question some time ago, I dont know if you check this thread out before
https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=30421.0

I still have the plusinno telescópic 2.4mts rod and havent used it cuz I got it right before the lockdown for the virus but I think it will be pretty good as backpack rod or just cheap rod that will be good for fish with bait or with 1.5oz lures, not fragile as we would expect, as I said on my comment in that thread, I could dead lift a tool box of 9# easily.

I had plans to install some better guides but I havent had time for that so I might just leave it like that.

another good option are the new telescopic rods from Kastking.
The Baja Guy

Swami805

I was watching a show about catching sweet fish in Japan and they were using telescoping rods, must have been 20' long. They were jack poling them but they did have tiny conventional reels on them.  I believe they were fishing commercialy during the season. MMMMmm! Sweet fish!
Do what you can with that you have where you are

wailua boy

Quote from: philaroman on July 22, 2021, 10:39:03 PM
how long is the 12' tel. collapsed?
It's 18.5 inches. Here's the specs and it was purchased for $26.00 including shipping. They are marketing it as a carbon fiber alloy pole. I could see myself using it for those soft mouthed, open water species like akule and similar species. Although it's a bit too flexible for most of the fishing I do but it sure is nice being able to collapse and shove into a backpack or under seat of a vehicle.