100 year old Meisselbach scores!

Started by 6thMichCav, July 17, 2021, 04:18:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6thMichCav

My Meisselbach Takapart is over 100 years old, but the average empty spool spin is over 15 seconds. I put some Cortland 25 pound ice fishing line on it and a short flourocarbon leader, and thought a 1/2 ounce spoon would give me some casting practice while I tested some spinning reels I cleaned up.

Instead, it caught the biggest fish of the day, a decent 14" smallmouth. Lots of grins trying to remember to level wind the spool on the retrieve!

foakes

Nice catch with that M. tri-Part, Dale!

Really solid and under-appreciated old baitcasters.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Gfish

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Wompus Cat

I love those Reels . The Quality Threading of the End plates is unheard  of today.
They make a Version that Free wheels when you back up the Handle .....SWEET !
Thanks for showing it .
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

oc1

jgp12000

I have a 1907 Meisselbach K.K. Special Tripart for display.It looks like a modern rod?I know that was cool to catch one on that old reel!

6thMichCav

Yes, the rod is pathetically new. I wish I had a tubular steel or solid fiberglass rod to put it on, but I was lazy and put it on a spare baitcaster. Backyard casting also included a Pflueger SkilKast and a Wards Skipper, but the Meisselbach made them look sick.  I think my two favorite knucklebuster brands will be Meisselbach without a level wind and any Langley in decent shape.

Paul Roberts

Awesome! Can't wait to do the same.

thorhammer

May take me a bit to go thru the rods I have in various places- dunno about a square steel, but I very likely have a pistol grip glas rod, yours, N/C.

Nice work!

John