Penn Torque 12

Started by Oldfatguy, August 22, 2021, 05:38:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldfatguy

I have a Penn Torque 12 that I obtained a few years ago.  I am ashamed to admit that I just tried it out for the first time.  My problem is that the Sppol Tension does not seem to be working.  I have tightened it up and it doesn't stop spooling.  Any suggestions out there?

Wompus Cat

You don't have the Free Spool Lever in the wrong position by chance ??
If not then there is sumpin amiss in the Drag System me thinks .
Did you buy it NEW ?
Plus IF it is a L/H model the Drag May be reverse Thread not necessarily but might be.
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Wompus Cat

Another thing comes to mind besides the simple things is that if you have had it new in the box for quite a few years the Grease may have hardened and is keeping the pinion from moving in to lock position in that case a little WD-40 might get it working for ya.
Without having the Reel in my hands that's all I can come up with .
THere are plenty here that know more about Reels than me so stay tuned .

Oldfatguy

Thanks.  It is new.  However, it was not used for two years.  I will try the WD 40.  I can hear the clicking when I turn it. Please forgive my ignorance, but should I just spray the WD 40 int the tension control?

Wompus Cat

You are not ignorant and there are NO Dumb questions. We are here to help in any way we can.
Every one here will go out of their way to get you up to speed.
The Best option is to take down the Reel but if you don't feel comfortable doing that then Spray WD-40 or any good Penetrate between the Spool and the Frame to get it in the guts real good and turn the Reel . from side to side with the Handle side down .
When you say Tension Control ?What part are you referring to ? 

JK47

I think he's referring to part 26B https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/trq12b.pdf
If that's the part he's having an issue with, it  slows the freespool down or competently stops it by turning it in. I set mine so that it just takes out the lateral play of the spool, sometimes and extra click or two...

If your comfortable doing it, carefully unscrewing the tension knob and see if all the parts from the schematic are present, before randomly spraying WD40 into the reel.

I have a TRQ 12 myself and love this little beast, and I've landed BFT up to 50lbs on it.

Wompus Cat

Quote from: JK47 on August 23, 2021, 03:30:26 AM
I think he's referring to part 26B https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/trq12b.pdf
If that's the part he's having an issue with, it  slows the freespool down or competently stops it by turning it in. I set mine so that it just takes out the lateral play of the spool, sometimes and extra click or two...

I have a TRQ 12 myself and love this little beast, and I've landed BFT up to 50lbs on it.

Well I don't think that the end cap nor the Star Drag will lock it down if that's what he is trying to do .
I thought he was not able to engage the pinion at all to turn the spool and about all that can be is there are no drags in it or the pinion is stuck on the shaft .
All in wording ... He will let us know I bet.
I have the Schematic and it is a Neat lil Reel with Double Dogs and a three position Clicker and those Funky Draggs.....lol
Good to have more eyes on this ,thanks JK47

JK47

Quote from: Wompus Cat on August 23, 2021, 03:37:29 AM
Quote from: JK47 on August 23, 2021, 03:30:26 AM
If that's the part he's having an issue with, it  slows the freespool down or competently stops it by turning it in. I set mine so that it just takes out the lateral play of the spool, sometimes and extra click or two...

Well I don't think that the end cap nor the Star Drag will lock it down if that's what he is trying to do .
I thought he was not able to engage the pinion at all to turn the spool and about all that can be is there are no drags in it or the pinion is stuck on the shaft .
All in wording ... He will let us know I bet.
I have the Schematic and it is a Neat lil Reel with Double Dogs and a three position Clicker and those Funky Draggs.....lol
Good to have more eyes on this ,thanks JK47

It is kind of hard to understand the issue the OP is trying to convey.

I add a tiny bit of tension on mine with the knob when casting really small bait, almost like cast control. My thumb isn't very good after a few beers and it can help prevent a casting backlash