Salmon Fishing Off North Bar

Started by Crab Pot, July 18, 2021, 10:30:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crab Pot

Got the invite from my buddy Freddy to join him and two others on his 22' CC Parker to chase Salmon which have been on the crew for the last two weeks.

Splashed at Richmond Marina 0500 and were over Duxburry Reef about an hour later with a sizable fleet of everything from commercial stick boats, charters, and private guys too.

Weather wasn't ideal put tolerable, lot's of wind and wind chop waves.

We trolled around the reef for about 45 minutes without any action. One of the guys on the boat deck hands for one of the local charters, he got a phone call telling us to move south to North Bar Buoy and find the fleet.

We were still setting up our downrigger rods when the two cannon ball release rods hooked up with a double. Both were landed and they were quality fish but sub 20 pounders.

About an hour later we had another single and 45 minutes after that another one. Not as big as the first two but over 12 pounds.

Bait of the day was crowbar rigged Herring in the 5 inch class. Cannot buy fresh Anchovies anywhere... I was stubborn and used a Watermelon Apex for most of the day. Soon as I took it off and went with the Herring I hooked up for the last fish of the day.

We were fishing 35-60 foot depths with the sweet spot being around 45-50 foot.

Judging by all the nets flying around us the other boats seemed to be doing well too.
Buy it nice or buy it twice.

JoseCuervo

Nice report. Thanks for taking us along. :) I love fishing outside of The Gate. We usually go north towards Stinson. We have had many memorable days out there.  https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=31757.0 ;D. I want to get to Dux soon.

Yesterday Dave, Doug and I fished out of Santa Cruz. Since the main goal for the day was just to get Long Hall back in the water and berthed, we didn't shove off until almost 11.

We dropped in mooching right at the end of the days' bite. Dave had the only hookups of the day in the first 30 minutes and landed a 25 pound beauty, the only fish.

Rob

Hardy Boy

Nice job gents. Nice to see you getting some down South. I only got a 9 lber yesterday and a 30 lb halibut.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Bill B

Good job guys putting some meat on the deck....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Crab Pot

Returned to the scene of the crime today with not so great results.

First off, Wind Finder couldn't find their #### with both hands today. They missed it by so much I should get a refund on my free app...

Salmon were there, saw lots of nets flying but nothing worth writing about, actually saw a couple that I knew should have been thrown back go into the ice chests.

Bait was everywhere!

No farting whales though.

We were 10 miles due west of the Golden Gate with about 200 other boats. 40-50 foot on the wire with crowbar anchovies.

We managed a get a single 12 pounder. I lost two, stupid barbless hooks.

Buy it nice or buy it twice.

David Hall

Those days are what makes the better days even better.

Gfish

Sounds like fun gettin out there, though, 1-fish, or a few. Dave's looks like he got some roe, or that beast has been really chowin down!
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!