Slowing down bench grinder

Started by Gobi King, July 19, 2021, 02:25:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobi King

I have an elcheapo bench grinder, how do I slow it down?

For my dc trolling motor, I use an inline PWM controller to control the speed.

What do you guys use for a/c motors to slow em down?

Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Wompus Cat

Well that's a Color of a Different Horse as some motors can not be (turned down by reducing Voltage ) it will burn the Windings  HOWEVER depending on the Motor you have there are a few options .

They make Step Controllers for this too.
My Router has  one . I will take a peak at the particulars on it and get back .
Meanwhile get the info off your motor plate if you can .
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

foakes

For my outer shop stationary grinder, I have a dual head single speed unit.

For the upstairs shop, directly to the right of my stool I have (3) grinders.

(2) are Mini-Grinders with a total of (4) 3" heads — fine wire, grinding stone, burnishing stone, fine grinding stone.

The larger Craftsman has (2) 6" heads — buffer and a wire wheel.

These are all hard mounted and accessible just by swiveling my stool — and they are far enough away from the bench so as to not throw dust or crud on the reel work.  They are all hard mounted on a rolling bottom toolbox — at bench level.

And all three have variable speed controls built in to the units — quick, easy, accessible, no fiddling with extra loose wiring, or taking a chance on heating up or ruining a motor not designed for variable speed work.

I keep a pair of safety glasses, clean and on top of the first grinder — and another backup pair on the reel bench pegboard to my lower left.  These are the types of safety glasses that go over my reading glasses — and have good side protection also.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Tiddlerbasher

For my linisher, bench grinder/polisher, pillar drill, etc induction motor driven things I use something similar to this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174822234137?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item28b4379819:g:9EcAAOSwT5tg3V60&amdata=enc%3AAQAGAAACwPYe5NmHp%252B2JMhMi7yxGiTJkPrKr5t53CooMSQt2orsSDAeS9EQtjPGVfKXTxF0%252BjhEz5RdsnkPWzgHFJd3csHALhoDufUNmmFQAdBqiMJOP%252BGSvv6uRFjpk82Bm%252FW5v%252B83lAr0tfJ10IPZ7GhvNEoUx6R%252BTFTknxSB3ARLX8w7a25NygyxDvEeGTV4LLu3AXy%252BJJY674sWecmdwAzmqt9N2eIgumosPQJdAJgubs5GvPl7D38856nLh3TwlxZBcFGBNxc%252F%252BcCGu8wTYNseVKTIhXFzO9aUl1i5IOksc%252FwcLXrLXjv4jt1FB9%252B0PBMOMQb2GySlXFBn35BCCtHt9Ydqf3UsMQ%252FQ88lA1%252BdidEv915Udf%252B4uUOTyffwTUumVbB7PCerv8rwIUJo3Vn%252FOvnKIhreF8QdBrpAzBpMIqHoWe4KvpOMao8MP2nHtIBs%252Buv0pj5UeY2uwrPL0yPdICeVAp3tiN80qT9aPklh3JwkydUeajj65tdUP%252Bon8bzpmjAiT2zOWysqsx8SYrZnAYZEmN56m%252Fwrh6Dwu%252BTlnOg6%252BeVRCyGLhd8apBVvOcgOW6nSsbyA39bxv2G5A99BZqV0ttDm9NkGm7G06fX6ws6qZcUZoTnJlM4rVopmYCRwM82hg%252BF%252FgOsmQRxE2VX9x4s%252BUcFIU%252FNXEUMZ8aQiGDX2eCq0IWSkhVmgj1%252FN4lGzPYT0iJddS4nPV4ni9gQEl4V0LqaQ267H25dES44yjGzB4s6OX9oxcsKbzDZf%252FcV1Kkgiq0kd8YO8XX2mjX%252FlFEY66vxOD9e9r2EFQvbwjD7HYrRJzwE6IgS%252BoAtf%252B5oj3atdqpyUX2sYzEVNtDzj%252FYkLDQnaRw9EBzeOZLWrYQVEOmnZ8X8Aech0SMyqklwyqfM0vg9mrciqdZERbPsXjxx4BTkDU%252Bz6aOpcJS6EcjFF1n%7Campid%3APL_CLK%7Cclp%3A2334524

I didn't buy this particular one, but they are all similar :)
I just used it in single phase mode - they can convert single to three phase if needed.

These things really work well :) There really isn't an alternative type of device! My one has been in service for a few years with no issues :)
Wire it for a mains plug input - fit an appropriate mains socket output - you can then use it for any induction motor device (just allow for power requirements ;))

Keta

I don't like the single phase/3 phase motor speed controllers, what I have installed on the header drive motors of the algae harvesters are below.  They plug in in between your power source and your load with standard 3 prong 120v plugs.

https://www.walkerindustrial.com/Dart-Controls-55AC15E-p/55AC15E.htm?gsn&gclid=Cj0KCQjwxdSHBhCdARIsAG6zhlUXpfS8IgVuafRWGQs2mV3hnsCqSH-wrlf3UFZquzkhnY1oyJN9V7oaAo9AEALw_wcB
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Keta

The Harbor Freight one will work if the amp load is 8A or less., it says 15A on the controller but in the specs it says 8A.

" Plug any router into the control unit and get instant variable-speed control.  Works with any universal AC/DC brush type motor, 8 amps and under"

Check the amp load on your bench grinder.

$180 v $18 is a lot of $ and if the HF one does not work it is no big loss.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Keta

I try to not do Amazon but sometimes it can not be avoided, this one will work for up to 15A and under $26.00.

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Variable-Voltage-Control-Controller/dp/B01M1I4NLX

Mark Twain

Gobi King

Quote from: Wompus Cat on July 19, 2021, 03:20:59 PM
Well that's a Color of a Different Horse as some motors can not be (turned down by reducing Voltage ) it will burn the Windings  HOWEVER depending on the Motor you have there are a few options .

They make Step Controllers for this too.
My Router has  one . I will take a peak at the particulars on it and get back .
Meanwhile get the info off your motor plate if you can .

Yes, me do not want to burn the winding!
Pic of spec coming soon. Thanks,
Fichigan

Gobi King

Quote from: foakes on July 19, 2021, 04:02:46 PM

And all three have variable speed controls built in to the units — quick, easy, accessible, no fiddling with extra loose wiring, or taking a chance on heating up or ruining a motor not designed for variable speed work.

I keep a pair of safety glasses, clean and on top of the first grinder — and another backup pair on the reel bench pegboard to my lower left.  These are the types of safety glasses that go over my reading glasses — and have good side protection also.

Best, Fred

Nice setup Fred. Variable speed benchtop grinders, it would be nice to have 2 of them but I have space for one.

I had not idea that I needed one with variable speed when I picked mine up at lowes. :-)

Yes, I have a full face shield, freddie krugger style,

Fichigan

Gobi King

Quote from: Keta on July 19, 2021, 09:57:46 PM
I try to not do Amazon but sometimes it can not be avoided, this one will work for up to 15A and under $26.00.

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Variable-Voltage-Control-Controller/dp/B01M1I4NLX

Quote from: thrasher on July 19, 2021, 09:44:15 PM
https://www.harborfreight.com/router-speed-control-43060.html

THanks guys, I will dig up the unit and post the specs first,

running a fast motor at slower speeds will result in heat?
Fichigan

Tiddlerbasher

If it's an induction motor do not use a universal/brush type motor speed controller.
To properly control the speed you need to vary the frequency of the supply not the voltage/duty cycle.
Use one similar to the one in my previous post.