What is the function of this part in a Cardinal 4?

Started by Catching Nemo, July 23, 2021, 12:35:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wompus Cat

Quote from: Midway Tommy on July 24, 2021, 02:17:00 AM
Quote from: Wompus Cat on July 23, 2021, 11:15:36 PM
A contraption like that makes me appreciate the D.A.M. Reels even more ....lol

I own 130+ 40-50 year old fulcrum brake Cardinal reels with varying versions of that "contraption" "dealy" and have only had a couple of well used and abused acquisitions that required any meaningful attention. With a little care, attention & maintenance they will most likely last another 50 years or more. 
[/color]

It is a matter of Preference for me as I Generally don't care for Bail Type Reels at all and more especially ones with the Drag adj on the Butt of the reel and or A/R switch as it seems when inadvertently dropping of those type  Reels they always hit on the  Knob or A/R switch and shattering them (I realize you are not suppose to throw them around but still ) . I only have a few of the Cardinals and none with the Cigarette Holder /Gum Keeper type fangdangle thingamajig shown in the first post  and don't know come here from sick em about the makers now or before nor their similarities as in # 3's 4's 5's Abu or Zebco but am learning from folks like you .  Fred got me into D.A.M. reels and I have over a Hundred of them now.

Thanks for pointing out the  points on this particular Model in this Thread..
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Catching Nemo on July 23, 2021, 09:53:14 PM
Hi all,

Thanks for the replies. I will need to look for a replacement part or replacement housing, or try to McGyver something.

The part in my reel literally disintegrated into rusty crumbs when I removed the drag knob.  It was rusted pretty badly, and there are basically no usable stubs still attached to the rivets.

Used Cardinal 4 bodies for a reasonable price are pretty easy to come by, plus, sometimes you'll get additional parts with it as seen in this group.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Catching Nemo

Thanks Tommy.  Sending you a PM with a question

Gfish

#2 eBay post featured in Tommy's reference looks like a great deal. I'll wait a bit, then if nobody jumps on it I will... Thanks Tommy!
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

philaroman

Quote from: Gfish on July 25, 2021, 03:38:58 PM
#2 eBay post featured in Tommy's reference looks like a great deal. I'll wait a bit, then if nobody jumps on it I will... Thanks Tommy!

look closer: it's only main gear OR brake arm @ $9/each

Gfish

Whoa! Thanks dude. "If it looks too good to be true, it is..." kinda sneaky...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Midway Tommy

Quote from: philaroman on July 25, 2021, 04:05:29 PM
Quote from: Gfish on July 25, 2021, 03:38:58 PM

look closer: it's only main gear OR brake arm @ $9/each

Depends on when you bring the link up regarding which is the second 2nd item featured, but one has to read completely. There's only 2 items left in that multipart listing & that brake arm is way over priced.  ::) Especially when you can scroll down the list & pick up a full drag set plus the click washer, brake arm, cashing & screw, & support for $10 shipped. A couple of those bodies with innards aren't priced too bad, though. Try to buy all those parts individually. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)