Penn International 50W

Started by BILOXITARHEEL, July 23, 2021, 03:46:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BILOXITARHEEL

Question: Penn Internatioonal 50W: when you tighten down th DRAG PRESET KNOB, is the reel supposed to get harder to turn?

Donnyboat

Hi Bilox, your not giving us much info there, I presume your trying to adgust the drag, you should have the drag lever in free spool, before you turn the nob, only turn it a little at a time, & see how your drag is, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

PacRat

I don't think so. It's been a long time since I've been inside an International but I would say it's time for service. Read this before starting: https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=137.0
The tube spacer and bellevilles make a huge impact on getting your drag and free-spool correct.

-Mike

alantani

If the handle gets harded to turn as you increase the drag, the most common cause is a bad right main side plate bearing.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

BILOXITARHEEL

Thanks to everyone for your response. I'll try your suggestions.

BILOXITARHEEL

Your suggestion worked, Alan, but I ended up replacing both side plate bearings. When the Right side did not correct the problem. I didn't want to got through the right side disassembly, so I did the left side and that solved the problem. THANKS A MILLION. I LEARNED A LOT ON THIS REEL.

thorhammer

BT, where in NC are you from and how'd you end up in Miss.?